Porcelain Silkie Thread

Pics
Have either of you attempted to make porcelain from the lav/buff cross?
I did hatch out one lavendar and one buff from Catdance, but sadly lost them both. I am hoping to try more eggs soon. Until then I thought I would just go ahead and buy the chicks from East Coast Silkies. I asked Bobbi if she has chicks to order, but she's gone right now so I'm hoping she answers me this weekend.
I have three roos that need porcelain girls to go with them so I am anxious to get some going.
Are either of you working on color genetics with any other breed of birds?

I did hatch out one lavendar and one buff from Catdance, but sadly lost them both. I am hoping to try more eggs soon. Until then I thought I would just go ahead and buy the chicks from East Coast Silkies. I asked Bobbi if she has chicks to order, but she's gone right now so I'm hoping she answers me this weekend.
I have three roos that need porcelain girls to go with them so I am anxious to get some going.

I am BRAND new to Silkies. I have a white cockerel (my avatar) that is almost 6 months old and now these chicks to keep him company. I am working on already standardized colours with my large fowl. No projects there. Wasn't really even looking for "projects" with the Silkies but ended up with what appears to be a pretty decent porcelain and lavender - at this very early stage. And I still have to hope I have one of each so I have something to work with!!!
tongue.png

I am BRAND new to Silkies. I have a white cockerel (my avatar) that is almost 6 months old and now these chicks to keep him company. I am working on already standardized colours with my large fowl. No projects there. Wasn't really even looking for "projects" with the Silkies but ended up with what appears to be a pretty decent porcelain and lavender - at this very early stage. And I still have to hope I have one of each so I have something to work with!!!
tongue.png

I have partridge silkies and then I bought two beautiful cockerels a few months ago. One is blue calico and the other is blue/porcelain, so I wanted to breed both the boys back to porcelain to see what I would come up with. As I have looked for porcelain chicks, I've decided I might as well get some lavendar and buff and work on my own porcelain.
Of everything I have, the silkies are my absolute favorite! All that fluff makes me laugh every time I watch them wandering around here. And their personalities are to die for. Even when my roos get irritated with each other, they just fluff up their hackles really big and start jumping around in the air like acrobats! All I have to do is go get one and move it over a few feet and they forget they were even fighting to begin with.
How did you end up with one porcelain and one lavender chick? What are you wanting to do with them as far as breeding when they grow up?

Quote:
I purchased a "grab bag" of eggs from Catdance Silkies (LONG distance shipping.) I do have more lavenders but only 1 worth working with from a breeding perspective. I have a very nice selection of blue and splash which is one of the things I was after. I was hoping for whites as well but didn't do so well with those.

My avatar, Elliot is one of those nutty jumpers. He does just fine free-ranging with my flock when I can supervise. (He's got a serious crush on several of my Black Copper Marans pullets. They seem to like him too!) I'm lucky to have a very civilized Blue Copper Marans roo that is very good with Elliot.

Last edited:
I am wanting to raise some porcelain and lavender. Catdance did all the work for me. :) I have two porcelain chicks and several porcelain and lavender eggs in the bator. Nearly three weeks to go!

How exciting. Are your chicks from Catdance also? She has beautiful silkies. I have a paint girl that someone gave me that is Catdance. She is about four months old now. Only problem is now I have to get her a cute cockerel to go with her!

Yes. Eggs and chicks!
Does she sell chicks? I have been trying to buy some from Bobbi Porto. She is so busy it is hard to catch her!
Do you have any idea what you can breed porcelain to or do you just breed porcelain to porcelain? I have been trying to go through old genetics threads on it, but I still haven't come up with anything.

Quote:
From reading, I'm gathering that the "porcelain" colour hasn't been very well defined yet and that it's different in Europe that what we seem to be going for here. Furthermore, the name "porcelain" likely won't stick because of issues with APA/ABA. Seems porcelain sometimes starts out of partridge, often buff, and then add and re-add lavender (self-blue) into the mix. Basically, folks seem to be injecting "colours" (i.e. genes) to tweak the colour/pattern they wish to obtain.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom