1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Porcelin eggs missing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by La Mike, Jan 7, 2010.

1. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I want to know if anyone has ever had fake eggs go missing from their coop.

Mine is impossible for any animal to get in.
    I had 5 porcelin eggs in nest boxes and three have come up missing.
    Only thing that could get in are mice and maybe a snake (maybe)
    There is no sign of anything being there an no place anything could leave with the eggs.
    The eggs themselves will not fit thruogh the wire much less something carrying it or it inside a snake or something.

Any ideas as to where the eggs could have gone??

2. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I had my golf balls disappear from the nesting box the other day. I searched high and low for them to no avail.

Today I go to check the box for eggs....and I have 2 pullet eggs, 1 green egg, and 3 golf balls. Still have no idea where they were or why they came back lol

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

could a human have stolen them??

4. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    No theives here lol

I just cant figure out where they went [​IMG]

But no no one else goes in my aviary except my niece and she isnt tall enough to reach anything.

5. Barred Rockstar

Barred Rockstar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    Rats could have rolled them off somewhere. check around your coop for holes.

6. Barred Rockstar

Barred Rockstar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    Or maybe a hen decided she didn't like the fake eggs in the nest and scratched them onto the floor. Mine do this and they get covered in straw making them hard to find.

7. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Nope they cant lose them that way no holes in yard and they couldnt go thruogh the coop being its inside the aviary and opens outside from locked doors

My aviary has 12 inches of mason sand for the floor and 1/2 x 1/2 heavy wire 4 feet up from ground so nothing can get in or out.

I know the chickens didnt eat them.

This is the most confusing thing i personally have ever delt with concerning my chickens.

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    If a snake were to get in there, he could have mistaken the fake for the real egg and swallowed it. But then it may have trouble getting back out. Maybe they are somehow buried in the sand.
    Are you sure a family member is not pulling a prank on you? [​IMG]

9. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Pretty sure they know i would bury them in the sand lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by