Porly lethargic chicken please Help

sooty and sweep

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2017
UK
HI my gorgeous sweep.
Has gone all lethargic keeps closing her eyes and looks like she is trying to pass an egg. Also I found a pale yellow poop today. It is a really cold and stormy day today which may have caused something so have brought them into the warm. Thanks Finn

Since she has laid a shellless egg before (as per your April post), she may be an internal layer, or have some issue with her shell gland. The "yellow poop" could be from an old burst egg.

I would give her a Epson salt bath (warm water) - it might help her relax and work things out. At least, I used to do that with my scrambled egg laying Maggie when she looked under the weather. It seemed to help - she'd perk up afterwards.

The problem is, eventually this will not be enough, and such a chicken will succumb to infection. Most would suggest you cull her.

(My Maggie lived another 2 years, and was active/high on the pecking order right until her last day.)

Thank you very much Smudge.
She has perked up again now. but I will be sure to keep some Epsom salts ready in future if she has another one off her moments.

Thanks
Finn

Back
Top Bottom