Porter's turkey temparaments

My Royal Palms are beautiful and the smallest of my varieties, but some are just a little more aggressive/ruthless to other birds but not to me.
I would not classify Royal Palms as more nervous. I do classify them as more flighty as in because of their smaller size they tend to take to flight more so than other varieties. My Royal Palms were no more nervous than any of the other varieties that I have had.
I believe the smaller size also makes them more agile and don't tire as easy in fighting and may be the reason they can seem to me to be more ruthless at times to other birds.

The pics of the sweetgrass are lovely.
Top pic is one of my Sweetgrass toms in front with other varieties in background. Second pic is one of my Black Winged Bronze in front. Third is one of my older bearded Sweetgrass hens not looking at her best just started molting. Fourth is a young Sweetgrass up on roost with other young hens in background. Need to get some better pics most of these are during molting season.
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG

I am raising 9 different varieties right now but have raised others in the past. What are you wanting the birds for? Raising for meat/eggs, pets or both? If you like the looks of the sweetgrass they are one of my most preferred varieties in my opinion I have raised.
9 different varieties!

I'm interesting in meat/eggs and pets. People shudder when I tell them I eat poultry I've raised. I tell them I shudder when they eat poultry that's been raised on industrial farms. Typically that's a conversation stopper :) .

I believe they'll be a market for selling the birds with a processing date. I'd also like to sell poults locally. There might be local 4-H interest. I'm not trying to make a living off this. I really enjoy raising turkeys and finally have a bit more time to spend on the birds.

I thought I'd start with the two varieties I liked the looks of best and that had mature weights on the higher side of Porter's listings. Then go from there.

Sounds like Sweetgrass will also fit what I'm looking for.

Need to get some better pics most of these are during molting season.
All of your birds look wonderful. Your set-up is very impressive, clean and so much room.

Yes, I believe I used the wrong term for the Royal Palms. Yes, flighty would be closer to what I meant. I don't have any experience with them, the comment was just based on what I've read. I did not in anyway mean to say anything negative about the Palms. I just like mellow creatures; dogs, horses, ducks, chickens and of course mellow people. 😂

9 different varieties!

I'm interesting in meat/eggs and pets. People shudder when I tell them I eat poultry I've raised. I tell them I shudder when they eat poultry that's been raised on industrial farms. Typically that's a conversation stopper :) .

I believe they'll be a market for selling the birds with a processing date. I'd also like to sell poults locally. There might be local 4-H interest. I'm not trying to make a living off this. I really enjoy raising turkeys and finally have a bit more time to spend on the birds.

I thought I'd start with the two varieties I liked the looks of best and that had mature weights on the higher side of Porter's listings. Then go from there.

Sounds like Sweetgrass will also fit what I'm looking for.
Yes, my birds are raised for all those purposes. Selling poults is what I'd rather do more of but biggest demand for me is dressed birds.

I briefly made eye contact with mine while unboxing them. It was a fatal mistake. They imprinted.

They're extremely docile, more so than anything I bred and raised myself. If I want a particular bird, I can literally walk over to it and pick it up. No problems whatsoever with these guys.

Just about 90% done with separating my breeding groups for select spring breeding. Have 7 breeding pens done so far, separating by variety 1 Tom and 6 Hens in each. Still need to separate my bronze and some crosses I want to do, and they will be all ready for spring. Spring my favorite season of the year, everything fresh and new just like all the new fluffy hatchlings running around. :D

my birds are raised for all those purposes. Selling poults is what I'd rather do more of but biggest demand for me is dressed birds.
Huntmaster, I forgot to thank you for posting those pics. It is extremely helpful to see examples from people who raise birds from Porters. Lovely, beautiful and just as calm as I'd hoped.

Too bad their is not more demand for poults. I'll probably find the same.

Back
Top Bottom