Positive coccidiosis - have many questions

I've been trying to give them a protein boost with mealworms. And today I put Nutri-drench in their water.
In my own experience, Nutridrench straight from the dropper is best, followed by water. (I don't tend to measure it, but about half the included dropper is what I usually manage to get down them...the rest - all over my hands and I smell like vitamins all day! :) )
You are in great hands with @Wyorp Rock and @casportpony - The combination of symptoms for your sick girl do sound like Marek's - which is not the end of the world, so don't panic. It's actually quite common. Often chickens with Marek's succumb to coccidiosis, bacterial infections, etc as a result of a weakened immune system caused by MDV.
I am hoping for the very best for you and your sweet flock!

Your girl with the pale dry comb is moulting. It is normal for their comb to do this during moult. She is almost certainly not actively laying at the moment which is also completely normal. The bright red comb is a visual indication to any roosters that may happen by, that the hen is fertile and ovulating. Pale, dry comb means "Don't bother mate!" ;)

Unfortunately I too am wondering if your sick girl has Marek's but all you can do is treat the symptoms as they present themselves and Corid is the first step. Good luck with her.

Thank you @coach723 and @Wyorp Rock for taking your time to help! I will try the Corid drench for a few days then the preventative dosage for another week, continue with vitamin E and selenium, and let you all know how its going.
Aaaaaand now I have another issue with the rest of my flock......
Buff (our sick girl) usually lives with 4 ISA Browns. 2 (Charlie and Delta)molted back in the fall and 2 (Blue and Echo) are just recovering from molting. Blue and Echo's combs and wattles are pale and kind of powdery looking. Is this normal after a molt? Could it be coccidiosis? Should I just go ahead and treat them all? Or take another stool sample to vet? Other than appearance they act just fine. There has been an egg production drop but I figured it was the cold weather and molting combined. Last year however there was no drop. They are all almost 2 and this is their first molt. They have also all been confined to their run (usually free range). They refuse to step out into the snow - which we have had for weeks now.
Any advice or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Your girls in the photos are molting. Perfectly normal to have pale, dry looking combs.
Usually when a hen molts, they stop producing eggs completely, they are focused on feather production:) It won't hurt to offer them some extra protein (egg, tuna, meat). For my heavy molters, I usually offer poultry vitamins once or twice a week as well, just depends on how pitiful they are. Some hens seem to take it in stride, while others have a harder time.

I hope your buff girl continues to show signs of improvement.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks so much @orrpeople and @rebrascora !
I have been giving the whole flock Nutridrench for 2 days. I'm really hoping Buff doesn't have Mareks but if she does we will just deal with it the best we can.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom