Possible Abess???Or is it something else HELP!!!!!

bityrock

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
South Eastern Virginia
This morning went out to take care of the chickens, and noticed that my Newhampshire Red (NHR) had swelling to the left side of her face. It was just behind the corner of her break top and bottom and under the eye, there is heat to it, and well given the area can not tell if there is redness to it (Even when there is no swelling the area is red). I picked her up and opened her break and there is this waxy yellowish colored stuff that is on the top and bottom of the beak in a hole (at first it looked like a scab). I was able to work the waxy stuff out with a q-tip (I was tryingto get the scab off to let the infection drain out), and on the bottom is now a large hole but no puss or other infectus looking substance came out, and the swelling was gone from the bottom. The top, also had a large plug to it and after it comeing out the swelling did not go down at all. I am worried about her as this is in her mouth and it is along the inside edge of her beak.

The crazy thing is I went out there to give them garlic as my male australop has been making this coughing sound and I was in the run with them and was watching them. I had been out there yesterday evening and did not see this at all with her (at least the swelling) I try to give everyone a once over everyday to be on the safe side. This way if something does come up I know about it very quickly and can treat it.

Maybe give an antibotic? I di put injectable Tylan in the eye when swollen at 2 drops a day twicw a day and depending how bad things are I will use either injectable tylan or powder. Have you checked for eye worm? is it hard at all? Best of luck!

I will have my husband pick up some Tylan and will dose her with that to keep off infection. The swelling is not directly under the eye, it starts at the corner of the beak being the larger part and then spreads toward the eye. Her eye looks clear and really shows no sign of issuses.

Back
Top Bottom