Possible broken egg stuck in vent

kauai_chickens

Chirping
Dec 10, 2018
Aloha Friends.
I just adopted 14 hens and one of them has a poopy butt. I thought she may be egg bound. she's fluffy and since she's new I am not sure if she always looks this way or what... Today I also noticed some blood too. They just finished molting and they are not yet laying full time.
a couple days ago I noticed her messy bottom so I brought her in and gave her a warm bath with some epsom salts and had her stay over night in a kennel. she didn't pass anything but was eating, drinking and seemed good on energy so I let her back in with the rest of the flock. Today I noticed she had an extra poopy bottom. when she poops it looks almost like a bloody egg comes dangles out but goes back in. This is a new issue for me so I don't know all the correct terms. I looked into Prolapse but it seems like that is something that hangs out and need to be pushed back in. This is not the issue. Although during her bath today I did feel that there seemed to be a mass in her vent on the right side. Maybe a broken egg. I am not sure as this was my first time feeling around in a vent but it definitely did not feel like an intact egg.
any tip for help would be appreciated. This is a new one for me.

Aloha Friends.
I just adopted 14 hens and one of them has a poopy butt. I thought she may be egg bound. she's fluffy and since she's new I am not sure if she always looks this way or what... Today I also noticed some blood too. They just finished molting and they are not yet laying full time.
a couple days ago I noticed her messy bottom so I brought her in and gave her a warm bath with some epsom salts and had her stay over night in a kennel. she didn't pass anything but was eating, drinking and seemed good on energy so I let her back in with the rest of the flock. Today I noticed she had an extra poopy bottom. when she poops it looks almost like a bloody egg comes dangles out but goes back in. This is a new issue for me so I don't know all the correct terms. I looked into Prolapse but it seems like that is something that hangs out and need to be pushed back in. This is not the issue. Although during her bath today I did feel that there seemed to be a mass in her vent on the right side. Maybe a broken egg. I am not sure as this was my first time feeling around in a vent but it definitely did not feel like an intact egg.
any tip for help would be appreciated. This is a new one for me.
Hi Kauai_chickens :frow
Sorry to hear one of your new chickens are having trouble. Giving her Epsom salt baths was the right thing go do. It does sound like a partial prolapse to me!
You have a wealth of experience and wisdom here at your fingertips so no doubt you will get lots of help!

If you could post photo's of your chickens vent area that would be really helpful!

Here is info. on egg binding.
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/Egg-Binding-Overview-H262.aspx

This can be life threatening. Epsom salt baths good. Sav a chick electrolytes in water. Separate with own food/water. Get to vet. May have prolapse can use preparation H to assist at vent. Start antibiotics if can get some. Vet may be able to help her remove all of broken egg and prevent peritonitis or septic bird which would be infection in abdomen and or blood.

When you say it feels like a broken egg, can you feel sharp egg shell edges or is it just lumpy?
Is she actually in the process of moulting? Usually birds will stop laying during moult, but sex links will sometimes lay through their moult. Can you post a photo of her butt? If she does not have any pin feathers there trimming the fluff with a pair of scissors will help prevent her soiling herself and make her easier to clean up if she does and enable us to see what you are seeing....DO NOT CUT FEATHERS IF THEY ARE PIN FEATHERS AS THEY WILL BLEED.
Can you cup your hand between her legs from behind and feel for any swelling or fullness between her legs and below her vent..... compare with healthy hens buy feeling them before and after... roost time is a good opportunity for this as you can feel adjacent birds one after the other to enable you to establish what normal feels like.
The red tissue coming out and going back is the bird desperately trying to pass something. As you say, a prolapse would be where the tissue is remaining outside. The possibilities are a stuck or broken egg or her oviduct is impacted with lash egg material due to salpingitis. Significant abdominal swelling particularly just below the vent would indicate that.... the lash egg can build up into a mass the size of a grapefruit and there is no hope of the bird being able to pass it and it eventually constricts the gut and prevents them from pooping and they eventually die of toxic shock or organ failure due to the build up of waste in their system. Early stages may occasionally respond to systemic antibiotics but usually the condition is fatal sooner or later.
I'm sorry I am not painting a happy picture here. Giving her regular Epsom salts soaks and lubricating and gently massaging the inside of the vent is the best I can suggest to help her to pass poop and whatever else is clogging her up, but be prepared to euthanize if it goes on for longer than a few days. You may find that she goes off her food or that her crop becomes slow or sour as her system gets backed up.
Photos of her poop and back end may help us be more sure of what is going on.

Good advice from others. It might be a good idea to give a human calcium plus vitamin D 3 tablet for several days, since deficiency can cause egg binding. I hope that you can help your hen if she has a broken egg or prolapse that goes back in. Trying to remove any pieces of shell or membrane from the vent would be good.

Thanks everyone for your replies. She has been separated for the last couple days. I just gave her another epsom salt bath and was feeling around in her vent. Do not feel anything sharp. But there is a mass. I have no idea what I am doing in there so afraid to poke around too much. I posted a pic
Per other posts I gave her a tums for the calcium. Her energy level still seems good and she is eating and drinking...

Attachments

• chicken vent.jpg
    chicken vent.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 44
That looks like a prolapsed vent, and the tissue looks healthy and pink. I would put some Preparation H or hydrocortisone cream and try to push the prolapsed tissue back inside. Keep her clean when she poops, and the pink tissue moist with cream or oil. Here is some reading about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Hi Kauai_chickens :frow
Sorry to hear one of your new chickens are having trouble. Giving her Epsom salt baths was the right thing go do. It does sound like a partial prolapse to me!
You have a wealth of experience and wisdom here at your fingertips so no doubt you will get lots of help!

If you could post photo's of your chickens vent area that would be really helpful!

I posted a pic. THanks

Back
Top Bottom