Possible broody hen

The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
I have a EE who turned 10 years old recently I’ve noticed she’s been spending more and more time sitting in one of the nest boxes she isn’t acting broody otherwise so here’s my question
Is she broody or just trying to lay an egg (she hasn’t laid in over a year) or is she just getting old?

She’s a pretty old bird so it’s hard to tell. Has she actually sat on eggs? Check her belly and see if she’s plucked her feathers out to keep the eggs warm. Once one of my hens did that, I knew she was there to stay and marked the eggs. Nesting boxes are comfortable safe places. She may just be wanting security and a comfy place. Old chickens don’t get bench swings or rocking chairs.

She’s a pretty old bird so it’s hard to tell. Has she actually sat on eggs? Check her belly and see if she’s plucked her feathers out to keep the eggs warm. Once one of my hens did that, I knew she was there to stay and marked the eggs. Nesting boxes are comfortable safe places. She may just be wanting security and a comfy place. Old chickens don’t get bench swings or rocking chairs.
My barred rock Cookie is almost a year old. She's Boss Hen for the most part but she is spending an inordinate amount of time in the nest in the past few weeks. She sits on whatever is there and her own if I don't remove them. Is she what you all call "being broody" or just trying to be a good mama hen?

My barred rock Cookie is almost a year old. She's Boss Hen for the most part but she is spending an inordinate amount of time in the nest in the past few weeks. She sits on whatever is there and her own if I don't remove them. Is she what you all call "being broody" or just trying to be a good mama hen?
Is she acting broody besides siting in the nest box
Pecking or biting when you try and get eggs
Does she have a broody patch
Making different noises

She makes really different noises when she's in the nest if Im poking around under her to get eggs out. But she never pecks at me. She's more indignant. Lol
My guess is she’s broody but I’ve only ever had a few broody hens do I would suggest posting a thread on here about it to ask more people

If she's staying in there all day and overnight, puffs up or flattens down if you reach for her, is missing some feathers on her breast, or is making odd sounds you don't normally hear (like a ticking noise), then she's broody. She may not show all those signs but the main indicator is wanting to sit in there day and night.

Back
Top Bottom