Possible Bumblefoot and Definite Nail trauma

PeanutButterQuackers

In the Brooder
May 1, 2018
My red star sex linked chicken lost a nail this week. I was finally able to wrangle her for examine her more closely and her foot looks awful. It seems like bumble to me, but I want second opinions.

If it is bumble, does it appear too advanced to treat with vetricin? I'm leaving for a trip soon so if she requires an operation, I need to do that before hand (her other human is very queasy about this stuff).
MVIMG_20190608_203046.jpg

I would soak her feet in some warm Epsom salts daily for a few days. Then spray with Vetericyn or Betadine. That bumblefoot does not look like it needs immediate surgery or treatment, but there is a fresh cut on a toe. The injured toe should be fine in a couple of weeks. So I would wash it, and look around at your flooring and ground to see if there is a lot of sharp gravels or rocks that she is walking on that is causing the cuts. I have that and have to add dirt or sand around my run and coop entrance. I usually do not do bumblefoot surgery unless their is limping or a very swollen red bumble.

Back
Top Bottom