Possible Cocci - how to treat 2 different age flocks?

I recommend corrid (amprolium) after reading these forums it's the best. Plus it's used in the medicated start and grow. Search this website for corrid or amprolium and see what you find. Speckled hen on this forum / a moderator I believe is very knowledgeable. Sulmet is cheap and more readily available but is mode of action is not so good for the chicken. Been a while since I read up on the topic but I remember what to use after trial error and lots of pouring over this forum. So now I keep it all stocked in my first aid bag. A user by the name of "dlhunicorn" is super knowledgable as well. If she doesnt come up in the searches try the first 3 letters in her user name in different order. She has a blog where she stores articles on all things chicken. Feel free to message me anytime. I am no expert in my own right but in the beginning of my chicken keeping I spent hours on this website. Ive had to treat cocci, bumble foot, torn spurs, worms, enteritis from cocci and worms. Pest like lice and mites. And euthanize from hawk attacks.

I am responding to this post not knowing if you still need advice or not:

The chicks in the house that never were exposed to the chicks with coccidioisis do not need treatment. Medicated chick starter would be prudent, I suppose for them, however. (I use organic chick starter now and have fewer problems with cocci than when I used medicated, so I'm not a glowing reviewer of the medicated starter, I realize.) The medicated starter has such a low dose that it doesn't prevent all bouts of coccidiosis.

The chicks that were exposed to the one who died from coccidiosis (assumed diagnosis) should be treated for the full recommended time.

Sulmet can be harder on their systems than Corid. Corid treats more strains of cocci than Sulmet, in addition. You don't want to administer vitamins with Corid since it is competing with Thiamine - it is a Thiamine blocker- so the cocci are killed as they don't have Thiamine.

Here is a nice link:

http://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/ahp/disease_links/images/coccidia.pdf

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/dxendopar/drug pages/amprolium.htm
(corid is amprolium)
Corid has a website also.

If it were me, I'd stick with the Sulmet since you already have them on it and no one else has signs of illness in the outside flock (but I'd not treat the inside flock unless they appear ill).

Sounds like you probably have already resolved this issue...but thought I'd chime in!

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I discontinued the Sulmet for the indoor chicks and am continuing for the recommended time with the outdoor flock. I'll add some probiotics in with their water once the Sulmet is done to try to get the good bacteria reintroduced.

I read up some more on Corid vs. Sulmet and decided to use Corid as a preventative treatment for the indoor chicks. I have decided to stick with organic feed (so as to avoid icky pesticides, GMO's, etc.) and add the amprolium in with the water instead. I am adding 1/2 tsp. per gallon of water. I was able to get them to eat some yogurt mixed in with their regular food as well, since I started them on Sulmet and am not sure how it will affect their guts. I can't get the outdoor chicks to eat any yogurt, the stinkers...

Thanks again - this forum is wonderful!

Charity

Back
Top Bottom