Possible cocci in young birds.

orumpoultry

Songster
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
Trinity, TX
Pretty sure that I'm dealing with cocci. Never had it in a single bird before.

Situation: several days ago ( about Thursday or Friday evening or so ) said pullet fell into my frog pond while following me and her hatch mates around the front yard. Normal looking until today.

Go to feed this morning and found bloody stool under her roost. The others in her group all look and act fine.

However... They've all got bloated crops. Not full, bloated. All four that hang out with me in the yard.

So...
symptoms include: Listlessness, fluffed up, bloated crops, and now Lilly has bloody stool. Bad.

I havent separated yet because I know cocci has a 5-6 day incubation period and the others likely already have it. I'll begin treating the entire flock tomorrow. Just to be safe.

No feed changes. No new anything.

Thanks for the article. She looks much worse this evening. Way worse than this morning. I'll be picking corrid up on my way home tomorrow. Hopefully she pulls through, I'll post an update tomorrow evening.

Lost the pullet today. My little buff orp is showing signs now. Started treatment on the entire flock and cleaned all the coops. Hopefully I dont lose anymore of the chicks. I have a lot invested in them. :(

Sorry for your loss. Cocci kills pretty fast, but the Corid should help within a day or so if they are still drinking. If not, you need to syringe feed it or try to give them a couple of drops of undiluted Corid by mouth. Consider doing a preventative dose which is 1/2 tsp per gallon, in 3 weeks after completing this treatment dose.

They are drinking it up.

I've never dealt with it personally. Didn't realize how fast it killed. She was looking really bad right before I started cleaning the brooder. When I checked on her not 20 minutes later she was gone. My fiance helped me bury her, and helped get everyone else treated.

I've got the group she was in immediate contact with in the house. They're on biological lockdown.

Hope I caught it in time to save the rest. Poor babies. Wish I'd have known the signs sooner than the bloody poop, vet confirmed my stool samples. Took some from the healthy flock too. No signs on them yet but prevention is key now.

I've dealt with tons of strange poultry injuries but this is the fastest killing thing I've seen in person. Less than 24 hours from "symptoms" to death on the poor girl.

Also, on the follow up dosage.

If I read correctly I do that in about a week? I should do a follow up bleach kill fest then, too? The brooder is painted. I can scrub the mess out of it and mop it again. Currently my brooder room smells like disinfectant. Another reason the babies came inside for the night. They've definitely out grown the starter brooder but... it's only for a night or two to watch them closely. Can't do that when they're out in the barn.

Back
Top Bottom