Possible comb injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by morgannn, Jun 2, 2016.

1. morgannn

morgannn Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2016
    Hey guys, I have a 3 week old barred rock that I think may have a comb injury. I have never owned or raised a barred rock before, so I do not know if this is common to the breed or maybe my baby got burnt. His/her comb is nonexistent except for a single nub at the end (the end farthest from his/her beak) and is red except for the nub. I thought that maybe he/she flew up and burnt it's comb on the heating light? ( even though it has the crisscrossed wire over it, it still could have happened) or is this common for the breed meaning that I have a rooster from the redness of it? It does not seem to bother him/her when I touch it either.

2. Hrairoo

Hrairoo Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe post a pic?

3. morgannn

May 7, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of it.

4. Hrairoo

Hrairoo Chillin' With My Peeps

No clue what's up with that! If it was an injury it happened a long time ago, as the comb does not seem to have any injury, nor does it look like there is obviously scar tissue..

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  6. morgannn

May 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

Here ya go! :jumpy

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Such a cutie!
    Looks like normal "pinking" of the comb.

It look like s/he has a rose comb which will eventually have what I call a "horn" at the top, that is the little "nub" you are seeing. It will take time to develop.

Now, that said, I am by no means an expert so you may want to post in the "what is my breed" section, but Barred Rocks generally do not have rose combs, I'm thinking your chick is a Dominique.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  8. morgannn

May 7, 2016
    Thank you so much! I'm glad that s/he isn't burnt! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by