Possible comb injury

morgannn

In the Brooder
May 7, 2016
Hey guys, I have a 3 week old barred rock that I think may have a comb injury. I have never owned or raised a barred rock before, so I do not know if this is common to the breed or maybe my baby got burnt. His/her comb is nonexistent except for a single nub at the end (the end farthest from his/her beak) and is red except for the nub. I thought that maybe he/she flew up and burnt it's comb on the heating light? ( even though it has the crisscrossed wire over it, it still could have happened) or is this common for the breed meaning that I have a rooster from the redness of it? It does not seem to bother him/her when I touch it either.

Here is a picture of it.

Here ya go!
jumpy.gif
Such a cutie!
Looks like normal "pinking" of the comb.

It look like s/he has a rose comb which will eventually have what I call a "horn" at the top, that is the little "nub" you are seeing. It will take time to develop.

Now, that said, I am by no means an expert so you may want to post in the "what is my breed" section, but Barred Rocks generally do not have rose combs, I'm thinking your chick is a Dominique.

Last edited:
Such a cutie!
Looks like normal "pinking" of the comb.

It look like s/he has a rose comb which will eventually have what I call a "horn" at the top, that is the little "nub" you are seeing. It will take time to develop.

Now, that said, I am by no means an expert so you may want to post in the "what is my breed" section, but Barred Rocks generally do not have rose combs, I'm thinking your chick is a Dominique.

Thank you so much! I'm glad that s/he isn't burnt! :D

Back
Top Bottom