Possible egg stealer?

imthedude

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
CO
Hi all.

Haven't visited the site in a while. I have a chicken problem, and need some of your great insight to help me solve it.

Egg production has been hit or miss lately, probably like most of your flocks. Molting, shorter days, cold, etc., have left my ladies with not much to contribute. Saturday while working around the place, I would occasionally stroll down to the coop and count eggs to check on progress. Final tally was 8 by 1 or so, but when I went down to collect eggs and lock up the coop a little before 5, there were only 5 eggs left in the boxes. What could have taken the three missing eggs?

I have three possible culprits in mind: a squirrel, a rat, or our dog. I don't think it was one of our birds. When someone decides to eat an egg, it is a mess with yolk, white, and broken shell all over the box. There was not a sign of any of these in the shavings, which makes me think it wasn't a chicken.

An egg seems too heavy for a squirrel to carry off and eat. Same with a rat. Seems like there would have been evidence in the boxes had it been one of these two.

This leaves my last suspect: our Labrador Retriever. I've seen her half in the coop in the past, and I occasionally crack an egg on her food, so she has a taste for them. Plus the eggs that were missing were from the lower row of boxes, which she can get into by probably just standing in front of them. She can't get into the top ones because they're too high off the ground. As a test yesterday, I opened the pop door wide enough for one chicken to come and go, and the final egg tally stayed the same from the time the birds were done laying until I locked up the coop at 5. Coincidence?

What are some other possibles for an egg thief?

Could you have a broody? If so could she have secreted away the eggs to her broody nest? Is there someplace where the chickens could make a nest outside that isn't too far from the coop or maybe inside the coop? Are you sure they weren't just hidden by the nesting materials
wink.png

If the dog got into them wouldn't you see evidence left after she was done eating them? My dog would slobber all over and never got up all of whatever he found to eat on the ground.

Is it warm enough where you are to still have snakes? It's too cold here now for snakes to come up - but that would be a possibility in a warmer climate.

Hope you figure out the culprit!

You could always open the coop all the way again with the dog loose and see if the count goes down. Then try the partially closed door again. Set up a camera to watch?

Last edited:
think i solved the problem. tuesday night as an experiment i modified the pop door so that she can't get in there. wednesday got 8 eggs and yesterday got 10. if today is in the same ballpark, she will be blamed as the culprit. no wonder she was farting so much.
lol.png

Yay! Glad you figured it out.

One of my dogs will break open an egg and eat it -- shell and all -- and not leave a single trace. My other dogs are much more picky, and I have to crack the egg for them and remove it from the egg shell before they touch it. Goofy dogs!

Dog!!! LOL I used to have a wire haired fox terrier who was small enough to go in the pop door. She would gently take an egg in her mouth, and because her face was rather fuzzy, she could walk right past me without looking like she'd stolen the egg. It was only after I started finding broken shells out in the yard that I realized what she was up to. LOL She was a real character!!!

My Dogs wont Just eat the egg.................
They'l eat the chickens to!!! Make sure you know that you have no possible way for a labrodor retreiver to get to you chickens......or you wont have any!
hide.gif

Speaking of egg stealers, I need some help, I have only six chickens, and for the past two weeks or so, I havent been getting a single egg, and the only trace I have of an egg stealer is some animal dropings, like from a rat, or some odd kind of rodent inside my coop, my dad says its probly a snake... I dont think so though. I live in the northeast part of Indiana, if that helps find out who the theif is.
somad.gif
Any Ideas??????!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??

Back
Top Bottom