Possible emergency;

Pics

Moonrisemama

Chirping
Aug 15, 2023
My goose has become lame, and I am really unsure what could be wrong. They did have a small bout with lice, which has been treated - she has quite runny poo right now as well. Eating well but not able to graze; she does have access to chicken feed as well (possible deficiency? She's 8 months though..)
I cannot say for sure that she didn't get in to something toxic; but not that I am aware of as we dont have anything specific in the area. No possibility of a vet either unfortunately

Chicken feed doesn’t have near enough B vitamin concentrations for waterfowl, I strongly suggest getting some liquid B complex and a needless 12 ml syringe and starting her on 3ml of it a day.
If one vitamin deficiency exists it’s common for them to be deficient in others so I also recommend a multivitamin, something like Poultry nutri drench or rooster booster.

Switch her to an all flock diet, nutrena all flock and purina flock raiser are decent brands. If she’s under weight you could put her on purina 30% game bird start, but it’s not good as a maintenance feed.

Chicken feed doesn’t have near enough B vitamin concentrations for waterfowl, I strongly suggest getting some liquid B complex and a needless 12 ml syringe and starting her on 3ml of it a day.
If one vitamin deficiency exists it’s common for them to be fpdeficient in others so I also recommend a multivitamin, something like Poultry nutri drench or rooster booster.

Switch her to an all flock diet, nutrena all flock and purina flock raiser are decent brands. If she’s under weight you could put her on purina 30% game bird start, but it’s not good as a maintenance feed.
Okay this is a good start!!! I have the sheep version of rooster booster -- I assume it is similar, I know b vitamins excess are just peed out which I assume is the same with birds..? I'm honestly not sure if 'all flock' style feed is available in Canada - I could be wrong I have just never seen them!! I do have a mixed flock and feed everyone separately but, they do get into each other's feed because everyone free ranges together. I will get the b vitamins RIGHT away! She's in my bathtub right now, and let me tell you - her legs work 🤪 she's just hesitant to use them it seems while standing.. She just had a great bath, and I'm planning to give her an overall dry and blowdry, and see if she can waddle about outside. If need, I will keep her separated but able to see everyone, and get the vitamins asap. I have a wee bowl with brewers yeast and some other goodies but, she didn't like the garlic I threw in there (as a preventative, I often put in with chickens feed from time to time as well)

Okay this is a good start!!! I have the sheep version of rooster booster -- I assume it is similar, I know b vitamins excess are just peed out which I assume is the same with birds..? I'm honestly not sure if 'all flock' style feed is available in Canada - I could be wrong I have just never seen them!! I do have a mixed flock and feed everyone separately but, they do get into each other's feed because everyone free ranges together. I will get the b vitamins RIGHT away! She's in my bathtub right now, and let me tell you - her legs work 🤪 she's just hesitant to use them it seems while standing.. She just had a great bath, and I'm planning to give her an overall dry and blowdry, and see if she can waddle about outside. If need, I will keep her separated but able to see everyone, and get the vitamins asap. I have a wee bowl with brewers yeast and some other goodies but, she didn't like the garlic I threw in there (as a preventative, I often put in with chickens feed from time to time as well)
I can also just pick up vitamin b complex at the store. I do have thiamine and cobalamin for goats...

I would give her extra niacin as well.

She's definitely hesitant to stand. If I try she sorry of flops her wings out for balance I assume and then sits right back down. I would try to get a video but it's proven rather difficult lol. She's side eyeing me and preening herself after being blow dried.

Attachments

• PXL_20231116_200139304.jpg
    PXL_20231116_200139304.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 6
Yeah you can’t really overdose birds on B vitamins, whatever you have, Brewers yeast, the goat rooster booster, anything with any Bs in it will work in the mean time, I just like to recommend liquid B complex because it’s hard to tell which of the Bs are lacking, niacin, thiamine, pyridoxine, or the others, and sometimes it’s all of them.

She's definitely hesitant to stand. If I try she sorry of flops her wings out for balance I assume and then sits right back down. I would try to get a video but it's proven rather difficult lol. She's side eyeing me and preening herself after being blow dried.
that’s pretty common with B vitamin deficiencies, it could be a sign of heavy metal poisoning, neurological disorders, botulism, virus, tumor, or even a stuck egg but considering she was on chicken feed that‘s the most likely culprit.
you could try offering her some crushed egg shells and feeling her abdomen for an egg just in case though.

Back
Top Bottom