Possible Frost Bite?

Mariahthebright

Chirping
Jan 27, 2018
Central Illinois, USA
Hey guys

This is my first winter keeping chickens outside, I think I have the beginning of frost bite on two hens. I'm not 100%, but they have not had yellow discoloration on their combs until the last few days (it's been really cold)

My question is, what do I do next? I've brought them inside for now to warm up.

20190128_212740.jpg
20190128_212750.jpg

As far as the coop goes, I have added more bedding in the coop, took down the walls and insulted it, as well as adding more ventilation in the upper part. I am located in Central Illinois and Wednesday it is supposed to be in the -20s at least...

Thanks in advance for the help!

My rooster went from slightly white to black in a day. He’s the only one for whatever reason.
Venting the moisture is your best bet. But I know the worry you have with the temperature drop that’s coming. I’m not supposed to be that low but I’m not looking forward to it.

It could be. You can try putting bag balm or Vaseline on their combs. I do the waddles too for good measure.
If it’s not frost bite the added moisture barrier won’t hurt.
I’ve been using Extreme Care on my rooster with frost bite.
850A1836-A640-49C5-8F54-3D8FA0B3693D.jpeg

1/26 after 1 application.
8D5FFAC1-B9B5-458D-B43E-74B25E8F90A9.jpeg

1/28 after 3 applications.

www.midgardfarms.com
I use extreme care on everything. It’s technically for humans but my chickens are my pets sooo....
Great for wounds of most any kind. I use it on my face in super cold weather before I go outside.

Back
Top Bottom