Possible hatchlings?? Help! Advice?!

Pics
WE HAVE 2 chicks!!!! 🐣 🐣 another is pipping(?). I can’t believe it!

4th under momma so far nothing.

the egg under silkie momma hasn’t pipped yet either, but 21 days will be on Sunday!

@Chicken poppy @Weeg

should I leave the eggs under big momma or

Attachments

• 20B9275A-FE17-4575-925B-20371B5C63E8.jpeg
    20B9275A-FE17-4575-925B-20371B5C63E8.jpeg
    653.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 9A679846-9968-4416-8BA2-70A858CA8DAB.jpeg
    9A679846-9968-4416-8BA2-70A858CA8DAB.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 2

the egg under silkie momma hasn’t pipped yet either, but 21 days will be on Sunday!

@Chicken poppy @Weeg

Yay! Thats so incredibly exciting! Congrats!
You said that the eggs could be a couple days apart correct? So its probably totally normal that they haven't hatched yet. Just keep an eye on momma. I would leave them for now, but if she decides to abandon them because 2 have hatched and they haven't, than have an incubator setup, calibrated and ready in case you need to rescue them.
Sometimes mothers will give up on eggs that haven't hatched yet if they are a few days behind.

What incubator do you have? If its a Nurture Right than I wouldn't' worry to much about calibration, they're usually pretty accurate. If you have a different incubator, than quickly calibrate a thermometer using the ice water method, and place that in the incubator to check temp. Calibrate a hygrometer to, that usually takes much longer, 8-12 hours, but you should have that much time.

@Chicken poppy @Weeg

Oh my gosh! And yes i would. Congratulations! Their beautiful! :highfive: :love like weeg said,always best to be prepared with a extra incubator just in case. This is so exicting.

@Chicken poppy @Weeg

They are so beautiful! Yes, you have another one pipping yay! Odd that its on the side, botching to be concerned about but look like she may have skipped the air sack. Hope you get a 3rd little one soon!
Try not to lift momma to much so you don't let out to much humidity. Humidity is what is keeping the membrane moist, and if it gets to dry it can shrink wrap to the chick. One little peek shouldn't' hurt anything though. :D

Yes the eggs are a few days apart… me being a dumb new chick momma, I thought my silkie was abandoning her eggs. :he

there are 4 eggs under surrogate momma: 2 have hatched, 1 pipped, 1 nothing yet.

silkie momma has 1 egg. When I candled before lockdown on Tuesday, it was viable. It hasn’t pipped yet. Can I move the one that hasn’t done anything to silkie momma or wait?

I don’t have a mixture right, but I was given this one when I bought 4 hens and a coop of a lady a month ago. I’ll start reading up on it today. She also gave me this heater. Should I use now or wait?

@Weeg my surrogate momma hen has been super trustful of me. When I checked on her and heard the little “peeps”, she let me lift her and hold her babies. I never took out of her sight and gave them back to her when I was done taking photos. She used her head and beak to tuck them back down underneath of her.

They are so beautiful! Yes, you have another one pipping yay! Odd that its on the side, botching to be concerned about but look like she may have skipped the air sack. Hope you get a 3rd little one soon!
Try not to lift momma to much so you don't let out to much humidity. Humidity is what is keeping the membrane moist, and if it gets to dry it can shrink wrap to the chick. One little peek shouldn't' hurt anything though. :D
Here is the incubator I have
Yay! Thats so incredibly exciting! Congrats!
You said that the eggs could be a couple days apart correct? So its probably totally normal that they haven't hatched yet. Just keep an eye on momma. I would leave them for now, but if she decides to abandon them because 2 have hatched and they haven't, than have an incubator setup, calibrated and ready in case you need to rescue them.
Sometimes mothers will give up on eggs that haven't hatched yet if they are a few days behind.

What incubator do you have? If its a Nurture Right than I wouldn't' worry to much about calibration, they're usually pretty accurate. If you have a different incubator, than quickly calibrate a thermometer using the ice water method, and place that in the incubator to check temp. Calibrate a hygrometer to, that usually takes much longer, 8-12 hours, but you should have that much time.
Here is the incubator. It wouldn’t let me attach to other message…

Attachments

• 3719C33D-4B67-407F-85E8-2E6D45266617.jpeg
    3719C33D-4B67-407F-85E8-2E6D45266617.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 2
  • CDC7FD06-4341-4A6D-BE64-B5FC8A35D18F.jpeg
    CDC7FD06-4341-4A6D-BE64-B5FC8A35D18F.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 2
  • E1B83018-BFF3-4471-924C-F7770B9BD27C.jpeg
    E1B83018-BFF3-4471-924C-F7770B9BD27C.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 2
Yes the eggs are a few days apart… me being a dumb new chick momma, I thought my silkie was abandoning her eggs. :he

there are 4 eggs under surrogate momma: 2 have hatched, 1 pipped, 1 nothing yet.
Your not being dumb at all, just cautious making sure the sweet little eggs were safe. I would have done the same thing. :D
Theres always a late bird. All of mine were out in a couple of hours under my broody, but all of those eggs were placed same day same time, so those two may just be a little later.

silkie momma has 1 egg. When I candled before lockdown on Tuesday, it was viable. It hasn’t pipped yet. Can I move the one that hasn’t done anything to silkie momma or wait?

I don’t have a mixture right, but I was given this one when I bought 4 hens and a coop of a lady a month ago. I’ll start reading up on it today. She also gave me this heater. Should I use now or wait?
I would leave it under the current mother then for now as long as she's still taking care of her chicks. If she abandons the nest, than you can always move it under Silkie momma if her egg hasn't hatched yet.
Or, if you were worried about Silkie mommas chick being alone you could move the egg, but I think it should be fine.
Do you have a link to the heater? The incubator should have a built in heater, what brand is it? I used a Little Giant for my first hatch. It got the job done. :)

@Weeg my surrogate momma hen has been super trustful of me. When I checked on her and heard the little “peeps”, she let me lift her and hold her babies. I never took out of her sight and gave them back to her when I was done taking photos. She used her head and beak to tuck them back down underneath of her.
Awwww, isn't that the best. Its so sweet when they tuck them under with their beak, they really do love their babies. 💗

No no! Its fine, your just worried. Their days apart usually because their laid apart, meaning that they hatch differently. :) You can candle them, id personally wait, its a bit risky to candle on lockdown In my personal opinion. But you can if youd like! Get your brooder made for sure, im not sure if your planning on her raising them or you, but id take them away after the eggs hatch and give a few days or however long you want! But of course, let their feathers dry fully. you could use the heater now, thats what i would probably do.

No no! Its fine, your just worried. Their days apart usually because their laid apart, meaning that they hatch differently. :) You can candle them, id personally wait, its a bit risky to candle on lockdown In my personal opinion. But you can if youd like! Get your brooder made for sure, im not sure if your planning on her raising them or you, but id take them away after the eggs hatch and give a few days or however long you want! But of course, let their feathers dry fully. you could use the heater now, thats what i would probably do.
Here is the incubator I have

Here is the incubator. It wouldn’t let me attach to other message…
Looks like a good bator, you'll want to calibrate it and double check, but don't get to concerned yet, just read instructions etc. and inform yourself on how to use it just incase.

I wouldn't suggested taking babies away from mothers if thats what you mean @Chicken poppy. The mothers will do a much better job than we we could ever do. Babies raised outdoors integrate with the adult flock better, and are exposed to the soil at early ages, creating immunity and less a risk of coccidiosis.
Leave the babies with momma, and you always have the Silkie if Big momma abandons her remaining egg. You got this! You've got babies hatching! What an exciting outcome!

You wont need to use the heater either, momma will keep the chicks plenty warm, and heater is unnecessary.

Looks like a good bator, you'll want to calibrate it and double check, but don't get to concerned yet, just read instructions etc. and inform yourself on how to use it just incase.

I wouldn't suggested taking babies away from mothers if thats what you mean @Chicken poppy. The mothers will do a much better job than we we could ever do. Babies raised outdoors integrate with the adult flock better, and are exposed to the soil at early ages, creating immunity and less a risk of coccidiosis.
Leave the babies with momma, and you always have the Silkie if Big momma abandons her remaining egg. You got this! You've got babies hatching! What an exciting outcome!

You wont need to use the heater either, momma will keep the chicks plenty warm, and heater is unnecessary.
There are multiple ways people do it, people sometimes dont want them outside incase predators are often, even if the moms protecting them. Some people want them to hatch it cause they cant or choose not to use a incubator, and then gently take the chicks to a brooder. I personally think its smart to leave them with the mom, but if the feathers are dry and you know what your doing theres no harm in taking them. Of course, make sure the mom isnt to stressed by this. But if you do it correctly and momma doesnt stress its fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom