Possible niacin deficiency

0iseau

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2021
One of my ducks, Yoda, was niacin deficient as a duckling. We quickly corrected it with niacin rich foods and adding a niacin supplement to their food.
She started laying a couple weeks ago and is now exhibiting signs of a niacin deficiency once more (turned in feet). Nothing in their diet has changed, so could this be an affect of the egg laying?
The eggs themselves have been fine. Even the very first eggs have not had any imperfections - all smooth, properly sized, and hard shelled. With 3 ducks I get 1-2 eggs a day and can typically guess which duck will lay based on their body. Yoda seems to lay once a day with the occasional every other day.

I'll be picking up some oyster and switching my girls to a laying feed.
Is there anything else I should do?

Aunt Angus

Crossing the Road
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
One of my ducks, Yoda, was niacin deficient as a duckling. We quickly corrected it with niacin rich foods and adding a niacin supplement to their food.
She started laying a couple weeks ago and is now exhibiting signs of a niacin deficiency once more (turned in feet). Nothing in their diet has changed, so could this be an affect of the egg laying?
The eggs themselves have been fine. Even the very first eggs have not had any imperfections - all smooth, properly sized, and hard shelled. With 3 ducks I get 1-2 eggs a day and can typically guess which duck will lay based on their body. Yoda seems to lay once a day with the occasional every other day.

I'll be picking up some oyster and switching my girls to a laying feed.
Is there anything else I should do?
I would supplement her feed again.

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Premium Feather Member
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
Many people think deficiencies only happens at the duckling stage, but vitamin deficiencies can happen at any age. If I see even the slightest hint of one of my ducks acting off I start everyone on a round of poultry vitamins and that usually solves it.

Top Bottom