Possible pasty butt!?

Vanessa373

Chirping
Sep 20, 2021
Australia
8BE463D1-AC41-43D6-8804-47B2F656DA5D.jpeg

We picked up 5 x day old chicks on Sunday & on Monday morning noticed 1 of them had a very messy butt, not clean & fluffy like the others. After some googling I thought it may be pasty butt. We’ve been cleaning the area with cotton wool & warm water then drying her thoroughly before putting her back in the brooder. She’s not very active or chirpy but she seems to be pecking at the food although I haven’t seen her near the water yet. Is there anything else we can be doing? The breeder said all 5 were a day or two old but her feathers look more developed than the others. Not sure what else to do or look out for so any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 7C897484-3C1C-4081-A40E-DC085D623B48.jpeg
    7C897484-3C1C-4081-A40E-DC085D623B48.jpeg
    613.3 KB · Views: 18
For sure it's not 1-2 days old. With that feathering looks more like 1 week old or so.
Is in the first photo how her poop looks like (like when she poops normally?)

Last edited:
Looks like pasty butt. Soak in warm water, dab poop away with clean towel. Repeat as needed. If you'd like, supplement her with chick vitamins/minerals.

For sure it's not 1-2 days old. With that feathering looks more like 1 week old or so.
Is in the first photo how her poop looks like (like when she poops normally?)
She’s the same size as the others, but definitely more developed feathers. Not sure if that’s an indication that something is wrong if she’s the same size as the younger ones. I’ve sat out there & watched them for a while but I haven’t seen her poop normally yet. On Sunday arvo we popped them in the brooder, fed them & let them be. Then Monday morning noticed her butt was all covered in poo so we cleaned it then watched for a while to see if she would poop but she didn’t. We came back out a few hours later & it didn’t look any different then Monday night cleaned it off again & this morning same thing.

View attachment 2840596
We picked up 5 x day old chicks on Sunday & on Monday morning noticed 1 of them had a very messy butt, not clean & fluffy like the others. After some googling I thought it may be pasty butt. We’ve been cleaning the area with cotton wool & warm water then drying her thoroughly before putting her back in the brooder. She’s not very active or chirpy but she seems to be pecking at the food although I haven’t seen her near the water yet. Is there anything else we can be doing? The breeder said all 5 were a day or two old but her feathers look more developed than the others. Not sure what else to do or look out for so any advice would be appreciated.
How is the little one doing? If she still is having problems I have a few ideas you can try.

Back
Top Bottom