1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible RIR Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xswalden1, Nov 22, 2009.

1. xswalden1

xswalden1 New Egg

Nov 18, 2009
    I've been reading the forum for several months now, both before and after I have gotten my chicks. I think this is a great site for prepareing to get chickens and keeping your chickens healthy.

I believe I have a rooster but really can't tell. From reading other post I believe I took pictures from good angles and showing it (her) in enough detail. I don't want a rooster so I still have hope that I she is not a he.

5-6 wks old
    [​IMG]

12 wks old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture without the flash so you can see the color better.
    [​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    He is a boy for sure,but I think because of his white legs and light feather color he is RIR and Orpington cross.If you post your question in section:What breed or gender is it; -you will have more answers

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

He sure looks like a rooster to me! I'm going by his wattles, which are awfully long for a hen. I have some RIR hens and none of them have wattles like that. Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Roooooster.

5. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    cock-a-doodle doo! That's a rooster, for sure!

6. xswalden1

xswalden1 New Egg

Nov 18, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to head out for lunch and hope someone replies saying that its' a girl while I'm out. [​IMG]

Anyone in the North Dallas area want to meetup for a free rooster? I'll create a new post in the correct section later.

7. xswalden1

xswalden1 New Egg

Nov 18, 2009
    Perfect timing. HE just crowed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by