Possible Rooster Fight... Barely moving, coughing up blood

Pics
I'm so very sorry, @AlohaChickenGuy . :hugs
You did all you could for your sweet Zombie and I'm so sorry this ended this way. I lost this thread until tonight. I'm very sad for you and was looking forward to a happier ending. But Zombie is beyond pain now, and I hope that will bring some comfort to you, if not now, then hopefully soon. Again, just :hugs.

It is with a heavy heart that I report that Zombie passed today.

I am currently in Kentucky. Zombie was not doing well as I observed him on camera the past 2 weeks. He did not grow stronger. He struggled to climb up on our couch. The other chickens were picking on him repeatedly.

A neighbor went to check on him last night and reported he wasn't doing well. She refused to take him inside saying her dog would likely kill him despite asking her to do so given his condition.

Today I noticed the same Big Rooster that fought him on my camera and asked her to check on him again because I was worried... She found him beaten and dead. She reported that she buried him.

I feel guilty that I had to leave him early without him fully recovering. I feel upset everyone refused to bring him inside despite asking three people multiple times. I feel like maybe this was just the way it was supposed to be because he wasn't recovering or doing any better.

I return home in 3 days. All he had to do was make it 3 more days... I'm just sad.
I am so, so sorry:hugs

You did all you could for him.

So I returned yesterday.

I got my other rooster back from my son's girlfriends house. I looked outside today to see another rooster on top of him pulling at his neck. I immediately ran outside to intervene and collected him with no blood or significant damage done. He was breathing hard though.

This is the same rooster that I believe killed Zombie. I chased him a bit after, but ultimately realized I wasn't going to get him without a net or additional help. I don't mean to de-rail the thread but...

What am I to do with a hyper aggressive rooster? My wife says capture it, but what he did to Zombie makes me want to kill him, but I realize it's just nature.

I miss Zombie and hate to think he was attacked viciously without any way to defend himself. Right now I'd say he's lucky we are on a military base and I do not have any sort of projectile weapon readily available else I likely wouldn't be asking.

Bottom line though, I will not let him kill another one of my roosters. If there's an easy way to capture and I can re-home him far from me, that works as well.

Happy New Year to everyone. Thank you so much for your support.

Are you allowed to capture him since he's feral and on base? If so, then do you know where he roosts? Easiest way to catch them (most of the time) is when roosting. He's gonna yell his head off and bite.

What's re-homing him look like? Will he be turned loose where there's other established flocks with rooster? Those will also be territorial and likely there will be fighting, he may end up being the one severely injured or killed. Something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom