Possible sick peachick

Thank you. You're right...I have been reading like crazy. I am very sensitive when it comes to animals. This has been really tough for me. Yet, I have learned so much. I'm ready for a good lesson though. No more tough ones, I hope. I appreciate you guys so much. You have no idea how much I appreciate all you have done. I look forward to learning and growing with the peafowl. Always willing to learn. And I'm fascinated at all of the information I'm finding out. I can honestly say, when we decided to take this on, I never imagined there was so much involved. I was truly blessed to have been led here and to have met so many such amazing people.

Thank you. You're right...I have been reading like crazy. I am very sensitive when it comes to animals. This has been really tough for me. Yet, I have learned so much. I'm ready for a good lesson though. No more tough ones, I hope. I appreciate you guys so much. You have no idea how much I appreciate all you have done. I look forward to learning and growing with the peafowl. Always willing to learn. And I'm fascinated at all of the information I'm finding out. I can honestly say, when we decided to take this on, I never imagined there was so much involved. I was truly blessed to have been led here and to have met so many such amazing people.
Actually, I do know. Many years ago I came here for help too. It was the people here that kept me here giving back what I have learned both here and on my own. It is great that you are learning but the true joy is in the giving back.

Actually, I do know. Many years ago I came here for help too. It was the people here that kept me here giving back what I have learned both here and on my own. It is great that you are learning but the true joy is in the giving back.
I definitely hope to contribute to the giving back. I am eager to learn all I can. I hope to be able to someday help someone like you all have been helping me.

@KsKingBee and @Waterfaery So this past couple of weeks has been quite the learning experience. I just wanted to update. In the past week, I have had to deal with subcutaneous emphysema (successfully thanks to the readings) and mom abandoned the last egg which was pipped. I left it be and kept an eye on it. After hours, it began to dry and no progress was made. I bought it into the incubator and within a half hour, a healthy baby was born. I also learned that my peacock is an excellent father and I watch him teach the other three many things. Mom wouldn't take the oldest chick back or now the one hatched in the incubator so we are figuring things out. I wanted to thank the two of you and look forward to continuing my learning and helping you all your teacher others. With that being said...here are some updated pics of our (so far) very healthy babies. I couldn't have done it without you both.

Attachments

• 20230603_082106.jpg
    20230603_082106.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230603_082120.jpg
    20230603_082120.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230602_110957.jpg
    20230602_110957.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230602_095829.jpg
    20230602_095829.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230602_095441.jpg
    20230602_095441.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230602_095544.jpg
    20230602_095544.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 5
Great pics! Dad is beautiful, love that blue on his shoulders. Share that pic of him when people say the cocks will kill chicks. Mom is split BS, that is good to know. And when you have the need to put hatchlings into a brooder don't use newspaper, it is too slick and can cause you problems with splay legs, use paper towels instead. Congratulations!

Now be prepared to treat the chicks for cocci when/if needed and deworm all of them at least twice yearly.

@KsKingBee and @Waterfaery So this past couple of weeks has been quite the learning experience. I just wanted to update. In the past week, I have had to deal with subcutaneous emphysema (successfully thanks to the readings) and mom abandoned the last egg which was pipped. I left it be and kept an eye on it. After hours, it began to dry and no progress was made. I bought it into the incubator and within a half hour, a healthy baby was born. I also learned that my peacock is an excellent father and I watch him teach the other three many things. Mom wouldn't take the oldest chick back or now the one hatched in the incubator so we are figuring things out. I wanted to thank the two of you and look forward to continuing my learning and helping you all your teacher others. With that being said...here are some updated pics of our (so far) very healthy babies. I couldn't have done it without you both.
Congratulations and thanks for updating! I'm delighted that your peahen had success in the end. I agree with KSKingBee, your peacock is very beautiful and those are lovely photos. It's so wonderful to see them together.

I've never had to do any reintegration so I'm not sure about that side of things. If she won't take them back, I'm sure you'll do great with the ones in the brooder. I suppose it worked out well that one of the new ones is in there now so at least you have two together.

I had to look up subcutaneous emphysema. I'm glad you managed to overcome it. You've had a lot to deal with over a short time so you should be proud of how much you've learned. Hopefully things will go smoothly now and you can enjoy your beautiful birds. Take lots of photos because the peachicks will grow so quickly!

Great pics! Dad is beautiful, love that blue on his shoulders. Share that pic of him when people say the cocks will kill chicks. Mom is split BS, that is good to know. And when you have the need to put hatchlings into a brooder don't use newspaper, it is too slick and can cause you problems with splay legs, use paper towels instead. Congratulations!

Now be prepared to treat the chicks for cocci when/if needed and deworm all of them at least twice yearly.
Thank you so much! I will take the newspaper out and put in paper towels. Thank you. I have the meds ready. I expected the cock to hurt them. I love watching him with them. He teaches them so much. He stays right with them. He even sits with them under his wings. They slept under him last night and mom took over this morning. It's amazing to see them work together. The other hen pecks at them if they get too close. Also, he has list almost his entire train, but yesterday started starting and calling the girls again. The weather has really messed with them as well had to let the heat in the pen longer than we normally would have. PA weather has been crazy. From what I've read, though, he is probably not longer fertile.

I know my name is a black shoulder IB. He has almost a purple tint. We ended up with yellow and brown chicks. The oldest is starting to get some dark to its wings and back. The longer feathers on its wings are getting a peach tint. It was a week old yesterday. It amazes me how quickly they change. Can't wait to see if they are male or female. They are all so amazing. And all of my adults are eating from my hand so I am confident the chicks will too. Although, they aren't really afraid of me.at all when I go into the pen to feed.

Congratulations and thanks for updating! I'm delighted that your peahen had success in the end. I agree with KSKingBee, your peacock is very beautiful and those are lovely photos. It's so wonderful to see them together.

I've never had to do any reintegration so I'm not sure about that side of things. If she won't take them back, I'm sure you'll do great with the ones in the brooder. I suppose it worked out well that one of the new ones is in there now so at least you have two together.

I had to look up subcutaneous emphysema. I'm glad you managed to overcome it. You've had a lot to deal with over a short time so you should be proud of how much you've learned. Hopefully things will go smoothly now and you can enjoy your beautiful birds. Take lots of photos because the peachicks will grow so quickly.
Thank you so much! I definitely did have a crash course in pearl, that's for sure! I can honestly say that I have a little more confidence in myself now and that seems to make things a little easier. I will keep taking pictures, for sure. They amaze me every day. They are growing so fast already. My male is absolutely gorgeous. I'm so blessed with him. Here is a picture from when his tail was full...

Attachments

• 20230324_143110.jpg
    20230324_143110.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230324_142318.jpg
    20230324_142318.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 5
Thank you so much! I will take the newspaper out and put in paper towels. Thank you. I have the meds ready. I expected the cock to hurt them. I love watching him with them. He teaches them so much. He stays right with them. He even sits with them under his wings. They slept under him last night and mom took over this morning. It's amazing to see them work together. The other hen pecks at them if they get too close. Also, he has list almost his entire train, but yesterday started starting and calling the girls again. The weather has really messed with them as well had to let the heat in the pen longer than we normally would have. PA weather has been crazy. From what I've read, though, he is probably not longer fertile.

I know my name is a black shoulder IB. He has almost a purple tint. We ended up with yellow and brown chicks. The oldest is starting to get some dark to its wings and back. The longer feathers on its wings are getting a peach tint. It was a week old yesterday. It amazes me how quickly they change. Can't wait to see if they are male or female. They are all so amazing. And all of my adults are eating from my hand so I am confident the chicks will too. Although, they aren't really afraid of me.at all when I go into the pen to feed.
He is really special, cocks don't normally snuggle with chicks but he is a good one for sure. He is IBBS, India Blue, (color comes first), BS, Black Shoulder, (pattern comes second), and known splits are listed after that.

The heat lamp is what threw off his natural timing, that is why he lost his train so early. He can still be fertile for another month after losing his train although with both hens tending to chicks he won't have an opportunity to use it.

The yellow chicks are BS, the brown ones are Wild Pattern, (IB) type. It will take about three years before the BS cocks are fully colored out like their daddy. It is fun to watch the transformation although it takes a long time. The BS hens will look like this.

Attachments

• IMG_7506.JPG
    IMG_7506.JPG
    773.8 KB · Views: 6
How exciting. And thank you for that explanation. There are so many different kinds. It gets a bit confusing. My week old yelliw chick just started getting black spots on its shoulders. And over today you can see darker patterns starting to show. It is incredible how they change throughout the day. Lol. Your hen is beautiful! Oh and only one mom is caring for the chicks. The other mom wants nothing to do with them. She picks at them if they come too close but stays away from them as much as she can.

Back
Top Bottom