possible son in law type issues....

Boyd, I like your style. The boy needs to be brought up short. Plus, it's good leadership for your daughter. Grief like that a girl doesn't need from the guy she's dating cuz he will turn it back on her.

Still, stay out of the Pokey, I hear the internet there isn't great.

Boyd, as the mom of a married 18 year old...with a 20 year old son-in-law...I really think it may just be another stupid 'phase' these little upstarts go through. Your anger is justified for sure, but I know my own son-in-law is a decent kid. His ACTIONS have been disrespectful in the past. I think he was afraid to get mouthy, be he did things he knew were not approved of, as did DD. Just try to keep in mind their little pea brains do not stop developing till into their MID 20's and the frontal lobes is the last to develop which is where all the reasoning skills get honed. In other words...they are all idiots at this age and their stupidity should be taken as lightly as possible
lol.png
No offense to the younguns on this board, but things folks do at this age are just moronic...as an ex moron myself...trust me..it's just normal. Don't let that stop you from telling him he was being a jerk...but just don't be too mad at him for being a child still. Good for you for apologizing to the DD, that will keep her close, and you and she both needs to remain close thrrough these delicate years. Daddy is STILL the number one man in her life until she adopts a new one(husband) then ya get demoted
tongue.png
hugs.gif

Speaking from the point of not having a dad around......... I would have loved to have somebody say that stuff for me. Your DD is lucky to have you. Some of us had to figure that stuff out for ourselves.

You GO Boyd! Kick some butt! Your DD knows you and should have expected what you did: no apology needed!

Good luck!

Boyd, I can assure you she had doubts about him before this incident tonight. The things that happened sealed the deal.
If she was not ready to let him go she would have come home with excuses for his behavior.

You raised that girl right.

It sounds like you have cultivated an amazing relationship with your daughter and that she has a good head on her shoulders. In many families your heated response could have backfired and driven Dad and DD apart. However, due to the fact that what you 2 have is obviously a mutually respectful relationship it worked out fine.

But yeah, eventually you are going to have to let her go. I'm in the beginning stages of the process myself. It's really really hard and just kinda' stinks.

Last edited:
I think the way Boyd handled it was perfect. He dealt directly with the boy and explained what was wrong about his behavior and the rules for his own home. THe fact thta he was angry and may have yelled does not alter this. Now if he had not said anything at the time and later forbidden his daughter from dating the boy, who knows how she would react. In that supposition, 1) he could be viewed as punishing his daugher for the bouy's behavior. Not quite fair by anyone's standards, and 2) he would be indicating that he believes that she lacks the maturity or intelligence or self-worth to recognize inappropriate behavior and act accordingly--robbing her of the opportunity to act on her own.

There comes an age where telling your child that they must do this or cannot do that does not work. Much better to proactively grab opportunities that arise to point out actions and consequences and ask the questions of what they want for their life. They are the only ones who can really make the decisions--we can only guide them to consider the whats and whys and not blindly rush to a decision on emotion and initial attraction.

I think you handled this very well. I wish my dad had done this for my sister (many times), instead of listening to my mom. It would have saved my sister a lifetime of repeated stupid choices and a lot of heartache right now.

You did GOOD, Boyd!

Glad your daughter told her boyfriend to take the walk until he straightened himself out which I dont think he will do anytime soon!

Back
Top Bottom