Possible Vent Gleet

dsbailey70

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Nederland, Texas
I have a Silkie that I believe has Vent Gleet. My vet has me giving her Metronidazole, .1ml 2x a day. He thought she had diahrrea, but wasn't sure. I haven't yet mentioned vent gleetvtonhim; I probably won't be able to reach him until Friday, but I'll try tomorrow. Tomorrow is New Years day (big whoop), so until I can reach my vet, what should I do? Should I try monistat? Is it safe to give her plain Pedialyte? I have a pic if anyone needs to see it.

Last edited:
I have a Silkie that I believe has Vent Gleet. My vet has me giving her Metronidazole, .1ml 2x a day. He thought she had diahrrea, but wasn't sure. I haven't yet mentioned vent gleetvtonhim; I probably won't be able to reach him until Friday, but I'll try tomorrow. Tomorrow is New Years day (big whoop), so until I can reach my vet, what should I do? Should I try monistat? Is it safe to give her plain Pedialyte? I have a pic if anyone needs to see it.
Not all vent gleet is from yeast, sometimes it's a bacterial infection.
http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/vent_gleet.html

-Kathy

When I took her to the vet a few days ago, he did a fecal test. He said that there was some bacteria floating around, but that was to be expected. He also said that he didn't see anything in it indicating a problem. I just returned from Walmart, with monistat (2%), and Epsom salt. I can't find the post right now, but read that it was good to soak her for a little while, to help draw out some of the infection?

Last edited:
When I took her to the vet a few days ago, he did a fecal test. He said that there was some bacteria floating around, but that was to be expected. He also said that he didn't see anything in it indicating a problem. I just returned from Walmart, with monistat (2%), and Epsom salt. I can't find the post right now, but read that it was good to soak her for a little while, to help draw out some of the infection?
If he found bacteria that means he would have seen yeast if it was there.

-Kathy

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help. I'm not sure whether she's losing or gaining weight either. While at the vet, he weighed her at 2.3 lbs. This eve, I got two different weights. Using a food scale (I keep for weighing foster kittens), I got 2.1 lbs. Weighing myself on a digital scale, then on a regular one, and then re weighing on each one, while holding her, then doing the math, I got 2.6 lbs...

Last edited:
I soaked her in the tub for about 20 minutes; 2 cups of Epsom Salts and about 6" of warm water. She seemed to enjoy it. Found some stubborn poop around the bottom edge of her vent; it wouldn't soften up even after being soaked that long. It had an edge sticking up. I know that it was risky, but I hope it wasn't a bad idea; I grabbed the edge of the dried piece with a pair of tweezers, and slowly/gently pulled it off. She didn't even squawk as I did it. The edge of her vent looked a little raw/irritated underneath, but it didn't bleed at all. I put a dab of monistat cream just inside her vent. I'll be praying she starts to get better :)

Last edited:
Today I found that she was somewhat impacted. I spent around two hours pulling pieces of coagulated poop out of her. In many places it had stuck. Anyway she is straining like she's either trying to lay an egg or poop; she also clucks rapidly when she strains.. I felt her abdomen, and inside her vent, and don't think I feel an egg. What could be wrong now? Is it possible that's a reaction from the cleanin out, or something else?

Today I found that she was somewhat impacted. I spent around two hours pulling pieces of coagulated poop out of her. In many places it had stuck. Anyway she is straining like she's either trying to lay an egg or poop; she also clucks rapidly when she strains.. I felt her abdomen, and inside her vent, and don't think I feel an egg. What could be wrong now? Is it possible that's a reaction from the cleanin out, or something else?
That's the sound they make when they have and obstruction or a stuck egg. Have you felt on the inside of her vent? Can you tube some fluids to her? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

-Kathy

I felt her abdomen, and inside her vent last night, but couldn't feel anything. She had been laying soft eggs for a while, so I may not have noticed it inside. Can't reach my vet, but found a new one who handles chickens, livestock, and exotics. I'm there now. Doc checked inside her vent, and dug out a large amount of poop, but not all of it. Having a couple of X-rays taken, to see exactly what's stuck in there. If it's poop, he's considering flushing her out; if an egg, he'll try to remove it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom