Possibly being too concerned about duck behaviour?

I have runners too and I love them so much. They are my passion now that I'm old and retired. I could sit out with them all day long and just watch them interact. I've got 4 babies plus 7 adults. 18 more in the incubator but most of those will be sold to a local farmer.
View attachment 1813412 Babies meeting the "parents"
View attachment 1813413
Omg they are adorable! Absolutely lovely flock you have :).

I can’t hug my Runners unless I walk them into their house and catch them lol. I can hug my ducklings but they aren’t crazy about it either View attachment 1813452View attachment 1813453 View attachment 1813456View attachment 1813459 View attachment 1813471
Your flock is beautiful too! The black runner ducks look so striking, I love them! I'd love to say I'll have to keep my eye out for one, but I'm not sure how much convincing my partner would need haha.

And yess, got my new runner today from a backyard breeder who was keeping them in an allotment. When I got her home, I inspected her more closely, and to be honest the poor thing was filthy :(. She had mud on her under-side and face, and had red eyes. I can only assume it is because she didn't have deep enough water to clean herself? felt really bad for her. Also, she is a lot shorter then my other two runners, her neck isn't as long and her wings look rather large. She is apparently 12 weeks old.

On a positive note, when we brought her to my back yard, her quacking was making my other ducks call out to her before they were even let out of their coop! When they were all out in the open, they seemed to chatter for a minute, then dash off to the kiddie pool I have up for them at the bottom of the garden. The two runners I had before, with the new runner seemed a lot, lot more confident, as they never dared to go down the garden before. I have read that you are supposed to keep new poultry separated, but when she followed my other two into the coop at bed time, I couldn't bring myself to separate her. I know she used to live with a lot of other runners, so I didn't want to put her on her own. I'm just praying that she doesn't have anything that she could spread to my other runners.

*I did have a quick inspection for mites, might I add. And a once over of her, she seemed perfectly fine, and was charging round the garden after being let out with the other ducks.

Also as soon as she got to the kiddie pond, she started washing herself aggressively. It was nice to see her cleaning the dirt off herself to be honest

Your flock is beautiful too! The black runner ducks look so striking, I love them! I'd love to say I'll have to keep my eye out for one, but I'm not sure how much convincing my partner would need haha.

And yess, got my new runner today from a backyard breeder who was keeping them in an allotment. When I got her home, I inspected her more closely, and to be honest the poor thing was filthy :(. She had mud on her under-side and face, and had red eyes. I can only assume it is because she didn't have deep enough water to clean herself? felt really bad for her. Also, she is a lot shorter then my other two runners, her neck isn't as long and her wings look rather large. She is apparently 12 weeks old.

On a positive note, when we brought her to my back yard, her quacking was making my other ducks call out to her before they were even let out of their coop! When they were all out in the open, they seemed to chatter for a minute, then dash off to the kiddie pool I have up for them at the bottom of the garden. The two runners I had before, with the new runner seemed a lot, lot more confident, as they never dared to go down the garden before. I have read that you are supposed to keep new poultry separated, but when she followed my other two into the coop at bed time, I couldn't bring myself to separate her. I know she used to live with a lot of other runners, so I didn't want to put her on her own. I'm just praying that she doesn't have anything that she could spread to my other runners.
Over the past year I've introduced 3 runners into my flock. First 2 and then the one little drake. Like you, I thought I'd have to keep them apart but at bedtime they all marched right into the pen with no noise or commotion at all. Like peas in a pod. All was well! I was so nervous I went out in my pajamas to the barn (about 300 feet or more) after putting them to bed and everything was good. Isn't it nice when that happens!

Over the past year I've introduced 3 runners into my flock. First 2 and then the one little drake. Like you, I thought I'd have to keep them apart but at bedtime they all marched right into the pen with no noise or commotion at all. Like peas in a pod. All was well! I was so nervous I went out in my pajamas to the barn (about 300 feet or more) after putting them to bed and everything was good. Isn't it nice when that happens!
I'm glad I'm not the only one to have done it, I've been sat here imagining waking up to the worst tomorrow for putting them together haha. But yes! It's absolutely lovely! I couldn't believe my eyes at how quickly she became part of the group!

Hey, the new duck, Juliet, seems to have fit in rather well, except her quacking. For some reason, when she's out of the coop (the ducks usually sit in the coop most of the day, unless they are eating etc), she will not stop constantly quacking. My other female duck doesn't really quack much, but the new female will not stop! I'm not sure what the issue is? She quacks VERY loud when she sees a potential threat, like a crow flying over, or a neighbor's cat (I expect this of course, my issue is the constant quacking).

Back
Top Bottom