Possibly blind chicken, does this sound like Marek's?

BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
I noticed this EE hen acting a little "off" two or three days ago and have been watching her closely. By "off" I mean she has not been as active as the others, has been hanging back at scratch time, self-isolating, low energy. She's molting, is about two years old. Her eyes seem unusually dark, as if the pupils are fully dilated. Today she couldn't seem to locate the gate to go out. So after they all roosted DH and I went out and checked her out. On shining a light into her eyes, the pupil refected back grey, almost opaque white. Other chickens' pupils shine black and normal. Her eye does not look deformed, keyhole shaped, but the pupil did not contract from the light. We isolated her and will conduct further tests in the morning: crop, belly, swelling, weight, etc. Thoughts? The flock is isolated as to other chickens. Thanks.

Thanks. I noticed today how different her eyes look from the other chickens' eyes. The other birds' eyes are basically orange (iris) with a black center (pupil). Hers are the opposite, mostly black with a light orange pupil, giving her a ghastly, "dead" look. By her behavior I'm convinced she either can't see at all or sees only large, moving shadows. She's never been afraid of me until recently, and now she's terrified. She doesn't know me. I think I'm going to have to put her down because I don't think she can see to get to the feed and water. We will make a decision Sunday. My concern is: what is causing this, and is it contagious? Any help, any suggestions, will be appreciated.

I have heard of such a thing, and if I remember right, the chicken recovered from the blindness.

If you do decide euthansia is best, refrigerate the body until you can locate a lab to to a necropsy. This will tell you what this is and if the rest of your flock may be vulnerable. Call your state university or Dept of Agriculture.

I have heard of such a thing, and if I remember right, the chicken recovered from the blindness.

If you do decide euthansia is best, refrigerate the body until you can locate a lab to to a necropsy. This will tell you what this is and if the rest of your flock may be vulnerable. Call your state university or Dept of Agriculture.
Yes, thank you. Sure is a puzzle!

Maybe you can try some Terramicyn eye ointment. I have never used it myself, but I have heard there is great success with it in multiple threads. Can you post a picture if her eyes? Maybe try and give her some electorates in her, or some sugar or apple cider vinegar, to give her some help with whatever is going on. I don't think I can help much more then that, but I hope she gets better! @Overo Mare @casportpony @Eggcessive Please someone more experienced respond!

There is an eye blindness caused by vitamin A deficiency. Fish oil mixed into her mash can help, but it can build up to toxic levels over time, so this shouldn't be a forever supplement. It's worth a try for a couple weeks.

It sounds like your chicken may be blind in the eye. It sounds like a cataract or cloudiness from an infection or injury. Common causes for blindness in chickens besides Mareks, are cataracts, past exposure to AE or epidemic tremors virus as a yound chick, vitamin A or E deficiency, peck injuries, and infections. Some chickens may have cloudy dilated pupils after a respiratory disease or ammonia toxicity from coop odors. Mostly the cause is never known, but there may be no treatment. As long as they have sight in one eye most chickens can get around to find food and water in a familar area, but they may not be able to see another chicken or a predator as quickly to run away. Here is an older article that still is good:
http://joneshamiltonag.com/wp-content/uploads/PLT_Poultry-Eye-Disorders.pdf

Back
Top Bottom