Possibly dumb newby question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by littlebirdoz, May 22, 2011.

1. littlebirdoz

littlebirdoz Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    My chickens are about 7 weeks old and I just moved them in to the coop today. I am just worried they are cold. They are huddled together. It is 53º tonight. Should I put a light in there? They had outgrown the box we had them in so I cant really move them back inside. Again sorry if this is a dumb question.

TIA

Rebekah
    [​IMG]

2. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] to BYC!

There is never a dumb question!

They are not cold. Make sure that there is no draft on them though. They most always huddle together when its nighttime.

Where do you live?

[​IMG] Val

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome!

Your chickens are not cold. It is natural for them to huddle together. Chickens HATE change, and you just moved them to a big, scary coop. They'll adjust and get used to their new home.

And there are no dumb questions. [​IMG]

4. meredithfp

meredithfp Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    So glad I just read your "dumb" question as I had it too. Worried about my little babies out there all alone.[​IMG]

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]
    Your babies will be fine. [​IMG]

6. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    [​IMG] from Louisiana and there are no dumb questions . Your little ones will be fine [​IMG] , but for your peace of mind it wouldn't hurt just don't put it real close .

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Hi, welcome to byc. I put a light in mine, just in case they want a midnight snack.:-D

8. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Good question LittleBirdoz. ( Not dumb) Im sure lots of us learn by every single question posted here.

Oh and Hello from Maine !

[​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Nope, not a dumb question.

They'll get over their fear of the dark. They're big kids now and will soon learn to sleep in the dark like big birds do.

10. I ain't no spring chicken

I ain't no spring chicken New Egg

May 16, 2011
    I got on here this morning looking for an answer to this question! We put our chicks out yesterday for the first time and plan to lock them in their coop for a few days, but last night we checked on them and they were all huddled together. It was about 65 degrees last night, but we were afraid they were cold because they had been used to the heat lamp. So we put the heat lamp in the coop to be sure.

Now i can remove the lamp and rest easy that they are NOT cold! Thanks so much for all the feed-back!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by