Possibly getting 6 wk old white silkie

lhiannan1981

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
I'm not sure because the girl hasn't gotten back to me after offering the chick when I responded with a few questions. I've never had chickens, and I'm wondering if I would have to keep it heated still at that age, and if it can have regular layer crumble? It's not a big deal to get something else. I just have a big bag of layer crumble already for a pet starling...in fact, it was just opened today to make a few days worth of his food :p

layer crumble has to much calcium for chicks and can do damage internally to them. they shouldn't have layer feed till they are of laying age. is the silkie going to be your first chicken? if so you should get a friend for her as they should be kept by themselves.

x2 on getting a friend for your Silkie if you don't have other chickens. They get lonely without a buddy. I'm not sure where you're from, ir what the weather is like there, but if its 60-65° or warmer, they wont need any heat.
FWIW, my Silkies never get layer feed. They're an ornamental breed and don't lay as often as production type birds, so don't need all of the calcium in the layer. My Silkies, even adults, get starter/grower (which I ferment, but that isn't necessary) with oyster shell on the side. They pick thru the shells and take what they need, which isn't much. I can't remember the last time I had to add more shells. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom