Possibly Newcastle?

SarahBeth

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
North Carolina
I have a 8week old Leghorn Pullet who is healthy and developing normally. I noticed about a week ago she seemed a bit hoarse when I picked her up and she began chirping loudly.

Over the past few days she has grow increaseingly worse- now even her "soft chirps" she uses to communicate with others is hoarse. She sneezes on occations- they are very soft, single sneezes.

Other than that, there are no problems- food and water intake is good, normal poop, normal activity. She spends her days flying around the coop, climbing up the poles I put in for her to roost on, and harrasing the dogs outside the coop by chirping at them.

The only thing I could think of that would cause those symptoms would be Newcastle, but I thought I would get the option of someone with more experince. Anyone have any ideas of what it is or what I can do to treat it?

I am not sure what to tell you, since I have no experience with Newcastle, but you should have her separated from the others until you are sure what you are dealing with.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with poultry medications or vaccinations, but is there any kind of broad-spectrum vacc that you think would help until I figure out what the problem is?

Back
Top Bottom