Possibly pregnant doeling questions. Please help!

CordleFarm

Hatching
6 Years
May 10, 2013
Rome, Georgia
I think that my 8-mo-old ND doeling is pregnant. Over the last month I have noticed that she is looking rather wide compared to her herd mates and her udders are enlarged. We have only had her for 2 months. She was mixed in with my two bucks for a month while we were working on the other fence. The people we got her from said they did not have males. I am worried because of her age that if she is pregnant that she will have complications. Should she be showing/developing udders at only 1-2 months gestation? I am trying to figure out how far along she is so we can be prepared for kidding. If she is in fact pregnant, should I be concerned? Any advice, comments, recommendations are greatly appreciated. I will post pictures of her later.

I wouldn't think she would start bagging at 1-2 months along. My first timers started getting a small bag about 4 months and filled rapidly within the last week or so. I do have dairy goats though. Being bred at 8 months is kind of young but more concern should be on how big she is and size of buck bred to. ND can be tiny. You can find out very easily if she is bred or not and don't have to worry for 3-4 months by drawing blood and sending it to www.biotracking.com. It's very cheap and easy to do. Good luck!

If she is newly pregnant and a good size (nearly full size) 8 months isn't really *that* bad for a ND as long as it's a small breed buck. I also agree that at 1-2 months she really shouldn't look huge or have an udder even if she was pregnant. Blood test is really your only way to know for sure.

If you find out she's not bred, then she might just have a percocious udder. Our LaMancha had one last year as small a 5 month old, and it's even more obvious this spring as an open 17 month old. We are breeding her as soon as she comes into season. It seems like all the fresh spring grass when we start getting our summer rains bring it on, but she also comes from pretty heavy milking lines. I have a photo somewhere from a few weeks ago. It's significant, though, and slightly lopsided.

Back
Top Bottom