Possibly sick peachick - poo pic

Back from the vet. $520! Ouch. But worth it. They did a fecal direct, float and gram stain, plus a CBC plus an avian/reptile profile. All negative except this muscle value, which indicates white muscle disease. She said it could happen from trauma. We did hear a kerfuffle in their enclosure prior to finding her like that. Maybe she had some sort of scare.

They tube fed her and gave her shots of vitamins. They also gave me a tube and syringe showed me how to do tube feed. I'm hoping her appetite will be stimulated and I won't have to do it!

So now we wait and watch. Everyone send good thoughts to Coco! Thank you for all your help and concern.

It can also be from a selenium deficiency. Supposedly the game starter is supposed to have complete nutrition, but maybe not? Are there vitamins you would recommend and how often?
Yeah, I was just reading that. Let me do some research on the various vitamins.

Just found this:

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/white-muscle-disease

It says
"Feeds high in the concentration of polyunsaturated fatty acids, copper, or vitamin A - These nutrients are vitamin E antagonists and can either destroy vitamin E or make it less bioavailable, which in turn affects selenium absorption as well."

I had just given them a poultry electrolyte tab in their water and I looked at the bottle. The vitamin A is off the charts. No more of that stuff for us! They'll be getting their electrolytes from ACV from now on. It may not have contributed, but I won't take that chance.

She's eating on her own! And making up for lost time, I'll tell ya. I think one of the injections was an appetite stimulant. It's working! She's also much more alert and acting more and more normal every minute. I'm still on guard, but breathing a huge sigh of relief. I have a call in to the doctor about the supplements. I'll let you know what she says.

Btw, how often do you give probiotics? I want to start a regular schedule.

We will give a probiotic like yogurt after giving antibiotics and our feed is made with pro and prebiotics in the recipe.
IMG_4089.JPG

We will give a probiotic like yogurt after giving antibiotics and our feed is made with pro and prebiotics in the recipe.
View attachment 1507784
Oh how cool! I'm in the middle of Miami, luckily the part with big oak trees and peafowl. At least we have feed stores. I've been feeding them feed store game starter 30% mixed with water, letting them forage and giving probiotics periodically.

At what age do I start switching to the regular game feed? Is there a national brand you would recommend? I can always order it online.

Back
Top Bottom