Possibly sour crop? Need help

feather16

Songster
6 Years
Jul 30, 2017
CA, USA
I noticed on Wednesday 12/23 my Cochin girl looked a little extra poofed, specifically her head/neck area (I’ll attach all photos I have) and noticed her butt was pretty poopy. It’s a cold Northern California day, so I took her in for a warm bath and blow dry. She had a distinct smell, it wasn’t like normal chicken poop smell. It still smelt bad. I checked her vent, and it wasn’t red or swollen, it maybe looked a little pinched, but I don’t remember what hers specifically looks like normally. Normal colour/movement..

She closed her eyes in content during her bath and the blow dry. I wrapped her in a towel and took her out to the coop. When I was putting her down, I must’ve pressed on her crop, as quite a lot of yellow goo (stunk soo bad) came out of her mouth. It almost had a yolk looksmell, very gross and distinct though. I have never experienced that before, so without putting her fully down I went and got her her own cage with some towels.

I did a quick internet search, and sounded like sour crop. I fasted her the first day and got her on a monistat regimen (3 day suppository cut in half). The first day,while trying to give her the dose, I inadvertently pressed on her crop as more yellow goo came out (and I saw more on her towels). She seemed more perky on the second day, but today is the 6th day (last dose of monistat) and I’m not too convinced she’s doing okay. Her butt is reeeeeally poopy again. I don’t know if this is sour crop, or what. I need help.

She still comes out with the rest of the flock, she drinks and has interest in food (not sure how much she’s actually getting) and still a little slow moving. Her crop (I always feel in the morning) still feels like a warm sac, a little squishy. Pretty warm. When I separated the feathers it didn’t look bright red or anything.

day 1:
2396EF1D-8257-4951-994D-B298F1126E04.jpeg
4F174247-2F4A-4820-9EDD-FD1743E445A1.jpeg

Day 6:
82B10B6A-10AF-4402-9185-A93EAFF67171.jpeg
44AC7DCD-5C57-40CC-93BD-2278EC148A9D.jpeg

thanks for taking the time to read this, if you can help me, please do. I love her dearly, my bell bottomed girl <3

What's her belly like? Is there a possibility that she has water belly?

Hm, during her bath I did check, and it was a little red and distended looking. Would water belly cause the poopy butt and discharge from mouth? That would be unfortunate if it is :/ she’ll be 3yr in March

The belly will look slightly blouted and red. Yes, it can cause the poopy butt. I've had two hens who had water belly, and they both got it at about that age. The second one I saw puke out yellow stuff that looked like egg yoke. Gently place her on her back and feel her belly and take a picture if you want. Does she ever appear to be waddling? Does she appear to have lost of appetite? Did her belly look like it is missing feathers?

I can try for a photo closer to bed, they are out free ranging right now.

From her bath day - no missing feathers, no waddle that I’ve noticed. She has interest in food, but I’m not sure she’s getting much, if anything. Like she’s going through the motions, when I offer treats and put the food out. She’ll peck at it.

Ok, my second hen I didn't see a waddle. When you pick her up, does she appear to be heavier than usual? If you don't know her weight anyways, does she just plain feel heavy? When she eats from the ground, does she try to keep her body straight, so therefore stretching her neck further just to eat?

No, she’s definitely not heavier, maybe even a little lighter. And no to the stretching her neck further to eat, from what I’ve seen her posture while eating is the same as always

Ok, it could be the start of water belly. I'm not too familiar with sour crop. Here, I'm tagging the person who helped me diagnose my first hen that had water belly, if it's water belly, perhaps she can help you more, and- if it's not water belly, she can help you know what it is. :) @Eggcessive

@Lacy Duckwing thank you so much for trying to help me :)

when I gave her last dose of monistat this evening, more yellow stuff came out of her mouth (oh my goodness it smells so bad, it doesn’t leave you). I tried palpating her abdomen but only felt feathers (she is seriously fluffy) but may get a better look tomorrow when I have someone to help me.

@Lacy Duckwing thank you so much for trying to help me :)
Yep! :)

when I gave her last dose of monistat this evening, more yellow stuff came out of her mouth (oh my goodness it smells so bad, it doesn’t leave you). I tried palpating her abdomen but only felt feathers (she is seriously fluffy) but may get a better look tomorrow when I have someone to help me.
Ok.

Back
Top Bottom