Possibly sour crop? Need help

@Lacy Duckwing thank you so much for trying to help me :)

when I gave her last dose of monistat this evening, more yellow stuff came out of her mouth (oh my goodness it smells so bad, it doesn’t leave you). I tried palpating her abdomen but only felt feathers (she is seriously fluffy) but may get a better look tomorrow when I have someone to help me.

The easiest thing to do is to compare her to other hens. Once everyone is on the roost tonight, feel around their breast bones and lower abdomens. The difference, if there is one, will stand out. Hens with ascities (waterbelly) frequently have lost weight - and the breastbone will be more prominent. Whatever the cause- liver failure, heart failure, the beginnings of EYP, the extra fluid takes up space, leaving less room for digestion and stressing the organs further. Those can sometimes be improved by draining them with a needle.

Now- if this is just a crop issue, that's something else all together. It is possible to vomit a hen, you've already done this by accident a couple of times. It does carry the very serious possibility of sending the crop contents down the windpipe, I want to be exceedingly clear about that. Sometimes just expelling the disgusting stuff can help change the tide, then you can feel if there's some obstruction keeping her from digesting food, or some other problem.

This is my "crop bible" that goes over pretty much every possibility in crop issues and what to do about it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/

Yes, I’ve read that about the vomiting, I didn’t want to have to do that, I’m hoping the accidental vomits help, but not so sure since it’s been 6 days of monistat and still going on.. hmm.
Thank you for that article! I will be reading through that for some extra guidance.

Yes, I’ve read that about the vomiting, I didn’t want to have to do that, I’m hoping the accidental vomits help, but not so sure since it’s been 6 days of monistat and still going on.. hmm.
Thank you for that article! I will be reading through that for some extra guidance.

Yes, give it a good read- there's lots of great stuff in there.

It can be scary- that's for sure, and the risks are clear. I had one recently that nothing moved for 2 days until I did it- poor girl was so full up I think it was kinda like a stopped up toilet - sort of like needing a plunger. There was no massaging that one til some stuff came out. It ended up being a small obstruction that she cleared on her own once I took about 1/2 to 2/3 of it out via vomiting. Anyhow- hope you find the secret magic formula for helping your hen get back to full health!

I’m Sonoma/Napa area.
Today was the 6th and final day of the monistat, I’m starting to suspect a blockage only because there has been no improvement, I wouldn’t say she’s getting worse.. just the same. I have no clue what that is, so I would need some guidance if you two think that would help

Reflexive vomiting points to obstruction. Introducing oil and/or a stool softener can help. A molasses flush can help clear out the remaining material stuck in the gizzard following the oil treatment.

@azygous how do I introduce oil? Just to her, syringe some into her mouth? Olive oil or other kind? Sorry so many questions, first time experiencing this.

The easiest way to put oil into a chicken without it getting all over you and the chicken is to measure out a teaspoon of coconut oil, then divide it into pea size pieces, then chill them until they are solid. Pry open the beak and slip them into the mouth one at a time. The chicken will easily swallow them. Quick and easy.

Back
Top Bottom