Possibly Wry Neck?

Tulip173

Hatching
Jun 21, 2019
I purchased some new chicks a few weeks ago and I noticed one of them earlier today had his head tucked downward and he frequently bobs it side to side. He's able to eat and drink. I've done some googling and reading and wonder if it could be wry neck but wanted more opinions as he holds his neck downward rather than up. I've separated him and started treating him with a supplement of Vitamin E and Selenium. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I purchased some new chicks a few weeks ago and I noticed one of them earlier today had his head tucked downward and he frequently bobs it side to side. He's able to eat and drink. I've done some googling and reading and wonder if it could be wry neck but wanted more opinions as he holds his neck downward rather than up. I've separated him and started treating him with a supplement of Vitamin E and Selenium. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Hi @Tulip173 :frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of your chick or provide a video? For video upload to youtube and give us a link.

How old is your chick?
Is his crop emptying overnight? (if in a brooder with light 24/7 crop function will be harder to gauge)

From your description it could be Wry Neck which is a Neurological Symptom - some common causes are vitamin E deficiency, disease like Marek's and injury.

For vitamin therapy give Vitamin E (400IU) along with B-Complex (1/4 tablet). Give egg for Selenium.

Hi @Tulip173 :frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of your chick or provide a video? For video upload to youtube and give us a link.

How old is your chick?
Is his crop emptying overnight? (if in a brooder with light 24/7 crop function will be harder to gauge)

From your description it could be Wry Neck which is a Neurological Symptom - some common causes are vitamin E deficiency, disease like Marek's and injury.

For vitamin therapy give Vitamin E (400IU) along with B-Complex (1/4 tablet). Give egg for Selenium.

Thanks for commenting but after giving him vitamin E supplements the problem cleared up within a week.

Back
Top Bottom