1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

possum that tried to break into the run ***graphic***

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by uncle rico, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    this was about 2 mos ago, it was about 2pm in the afternoon and I heard the dog snarling down by the coop. i ran out there and the dog's got a possum in his mouth, shaking it back & forth. Possum is snarling & screeching, trying to get free. I sprinted back to the house, grabbed my .22, ran back & loaded the .22. Got the dog to drop the possum and possum plays dead. I decided to kill it as the dog had already chewed it up and if I let it go, it likely would come back for more chicken dinner. Finished it off with a shot to the head. Fortunately it didn't get any of the chickens-apparently he was trying to climb the fence into the run (the hens were out that day) and the dog smelled/heard it. The possum was close to getting in the run, and I know what would have happened had he broken in [​IMG]. Heres a pic:

[​IMG]

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    My two pyreneese pups cornored one on the porch last week and I went out to see. I didn't have a gun in hand so I kicked it and then stomped it to death. I hate them!

3. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    Quote:Shooting it and killing it clean is one thing...but what you did was cruel and unwarrented!! If you can't kill it quickly then leave it alone or go and get a weapon to dispatch it in the most humane way possible. I can't even imagine the moments that animal suffered till you "stomped it to death!" [​IMG]

4. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Think about the poor chickens getting eaten alive. If I had no gun or club handy I would have used my boots too.

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:That's the truth!! But there always has to be a judge & jury out there!! [​IMG]

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Quote:2x I would do the same

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Quote:What kind of rifle is that????? Kind of looks like a small Shotgun

8. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Hey man, go to Africa! While your wondering about for food two young lionesses corner you and papa lion comes to see. He clawed and ripped you to death, he hates humans.
    "Just clawed a human to death. Golly I hate those things!"

9. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    I totally agree...stomping it to death was very cruel.....next time step back and find a good 2x4 they work so much faster....I have no love for predators....if they stay away from "MY" birds i have no problem with them living on "MY" land.....If they cross the line I will do whatever it takes to end their life....even if I have to use my bare hands.[​IMG]

10. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    It was ON HIS PORCH not in a coop tearing apart a chicken, seems some of you need to go back and reread for comprehension. [​IMG] If it was not near the chickens, why in the world would you stomp it to death?! It was not, or from what the poster said, harassing his livestock in any way, so what would constitute "stomping it to death" in such a callous way?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by