Possum!

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
I have been have a bit of a Nuisance problem with a Possum and as I stepped outside to do some work I noticed a possum sitting on the arm of a chair on my deck. I had just put the high powered flash light down and went inside to grab the tools I needed to fix my outdoor brooder before I put chicks in it tonight or tomorrow. When I came back out I found this guy staring directly into the flash light. I went to shoo him away and I noticed he was stuck staring into the light so I caught him with my fishing net (actually its a serama net because my cages are too big and its the only way to catch them)... scooped him up put him in a box and took him to a flood plane in an Industrial area (where he won't be a pest to anyone) He had been eating Free Range hidden egg stashes and I was finding nests of shells.
IMG_2628.JPG

To be honest they aren't that big of a pest but I don't want them camping here, He was sitting right next to my outdoor brooder and he could end up getting in there. Beside my cat made it clear he had to go and she is the boss (if you do not believe me ask her)

I have been have a bit of a Nuisance problem with a Possum and as I stepped outside to do some work I noticed a possum sitting on the arm of a chair on my deck. I had just put the high powered flash light down and went inside to grab the tools I needed to fix my outdoor brooder before I put chicks in it tonight or tomorrow. When I came back out I found this guy staring directly into the flash light. I went to shoo him away and I noticed he was stuck staring into the light so I caught him with my fishing net (actually its a serama net because my cages are too big and its the only way to catch them)... scooped him up put him in a box and took him to a flood plane in an Industrial area (where he won't be a pest to anyone) He had been eating Free Range hidden egg stashes and I was finding nests of shells. View attachment 1907320

To be honest they aren't that big of a pest but I don't want them camping here, He was sitting right next to my outdoor brooder and he could end up getting in there. Beside my cat made it clear he had to go and she is the boss (if you do not believe me ask her)
Thanks for relocating the fella. Glad it only ate your eggs!

I hope it won't find it's way back to you. They can do more than eat eggs, if the opportunity presents itself. I understand they can't carry rabies because their body temperature is too low. But that's the only good thing about them.
They kill and eat Poisonous snakes and that is beneficial. Negative side is that thier Urine if mixed into Hay or other Horse feed can kill a Horse. When Relocating a Possum never move them near a Horse farm. I relocate them in an industrial area that happens to be full of wild life because of a flood plane next to a creek. No one can build on it so its just a bunch of shrubs and trees... unkept area surrounded by industrial buildings. It's also where Venomous snakes are known to be found.
If it was Raccoon I would have to kill it but I would not have caught a raccoon last night, no way will I tangle with a Raccoon in fishing net. I would shooed it away and set my trap.

Opossums can contract rabies, but it's unusual. That means, it does happen!
It's the possum poo that carries a parasite that's very dangerous to horses, causing severe neurological disease or death. And they will kill chickens!
It's not legal to relocate them here, is it where you live?
I shoot any found in my yard , barn, or at the coop.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom