Post Bumble Foot surgery concerns

Blue CopperHen

Songster
6 Years
Jun 22, 2013
Hiwasse, Arkansas
I recently purchased a couple BLR Wyandottes and after getting them home a day or so, I noticed one was limping. I examined her, and she had bumble foot with a black scab on the bottom of the pad of her foot and a large abcess on the top of her foot. So I read up on it, here and at The Classroom at the Coop, and gathered my supplies. I cleaned and soaked her foot in a warm Epsom salts bath and then soaked in a tub of diluted Betadine. I wrapped her in a towel and draped the tail of it over her head and laid her on the counter near the sink. I soaked a new exacto knife and tweezers in a bleach solution to sanitize them. I made my first incision, and cut around the circumference of the scab. I pulled it out, and with it came a small amount of gunk, mostly liquid and blood. I dug around in there and got everything out I could. I then resoaked the foot in a warm, fresh batch of betadine solution. I applied a small gauze pad and held pressure on it while I looked at the top. I made a one inch incision in the center of the abcess, and my goodness, it just gushed out. I massaged the foot and there it was...a large mass of cottage cheese textured abcess. It came out easily . I soaked the foot in a fresh Epsom bath, messaging the foot. When I felt like I got it all, I did my best to pack her two wounds with triple antibiotic ointment,( with a pinch of Duramycin mixed in ) but there was so much blood it was difficult. I put a gauze pad on the bottom, a gauze pad on the top, and gently wrapped with strips of vet wrap. I took her out to the tractor with her buddy hen and hoped for the best. I bleached everything in the kitchen down, including my hands. I had to hold a small slice in my finger open and had my adult son pour bleach in it. ( I had gloves on, but in my rush to put my knife down to apply pressure, I sliced myself.)
Here is my concern. She did roost that night. I changed her bandages today and reapplied ointment and fresh gauze and bandages. The wounds look good, but she is still favoring that foot and its been two days. I guess I'm just concerned I didn't get it all out. How long does it take to heal? I'm worried that I didn't get it all out, but I know I got ALOT out, liquid and solid. The poor girl hates me now. She pecked me when I went out to get her to change her bandages. I put 1 level tablespoon of Duramycin in a gallon of water and I put out a small container of blueberry yogurt out for her.

It sounds like you did everything you could do for her. She may not have roosted because of the hurt foot or even something as simple as not balancing right with the bandage on. Keep changing the bandages and watching the area. If you didn't get it all you can always retreat. Given what she just went threw, wouldn't you be scared and defensive? She will be better with you after the treatments end. I know it's hard but don't worry so much, you did a great job and all you can do now is wait and see.

Thank you very much. Yes, I would certainly be defensive. That part doesn't bother me as much as the idea of having to do it over again. I'm going to give her some time. We are only on day 3 of healing, but it seems that I've heard others say that their hens were out and about running around and scratching in a day or so. I just wanted to make sure her recovery is normal. I feel a little bad having done it, but she was suffering and I know it had to be done.

Most people only treat the bottom and some of those people have to retreat because they didn't get it all. You had to do both top and bottom so it is a little bit more to heal from. Also healing time varies in everyone, I wouldn't worry unless it doesn't look right when you change the bandage.

I dont know why you're giving her duramycin. Stop the duramycin. Then next time you change the dressing, continue to put triple antibiotic on the wound and wrap it up as normal. You can leave it wrapped for a couple of days if you wish, then change it out the third day. It will heal, just give it a little more time as mentioned.

Most people only treat the bottom and some of those people have to retreat because they didn't get it all. You had to do both top and bottom so it is a little bit more to heal from. Also healing time varies in everyone, I wouldn't worry unless it doesn't look right when you change the bandage.
Thank you so much for the reassurance!

I dont know why you're giving her duramycin. Stop the duramycin. Then next time you change the dressing, continue to put triple antibiotic on the wound and wrap it up as normal. You can leave it wrapped for a couple of days if you wish, then change it out the third day. It will heal, just give it a little more time as mentioned.
I did a lot of research here, at the Classroom at the Coop and The Chicken Chick's webpage. I don't remember where I saw It, but it recommended a pinch of the Duramycin mixed with the triple antibiotic ointment if I didn't have Vetericyn VF on hand. I only used it the day of surgery and have since used plain triple antibiotic ointment with the bandage changes. I did give 1 level tablespoon of Duramycin in a gallon waterer the first day. May I ask why the Duramycin is a bad thing? Thank you for your input! It is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
This is the feedback I got from CJR on The Classroom at the Coop. He didn't appear to have any issues with the Duramycin unless he just overlooked it.
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=110475#Post110475 I am not questioning your knowledge, but hope to learn more about the use of antibiotics. Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote: Duramycin is used to treat mycoplasma bacterias, specifically MG (aka CRD) and MS which are respiratory diseases. Duramycin is also used to treat Ecoli bacterial infection.
Bumblefoot is a bacterial staph infection. Duramycin has no effect on staph infection.
There are many types of bacterial infections as you know. There are many types of specific antibiotics to treat the many different types of specific bacterias.
In your case, you removed the staph infection and the wound is slowly healing, which is good news. However, if there were redness or swelling, that would mean that there is more staph infection that needs to be removed. If that were to occur, you would need to give your bird an antibiotic to counter the infection. Once the staph infection reaches the legbone, it quickly spreads throughout the chickens system and death follows. The antibiotic that will stop the infection prior to reaching the legbone is NOT duramycin, it is penicillin G procaine injections.
The penicillin injections are not needed in this instance, simply because you did a good job removing the staph infection initially.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/duramycin-10.html

Thank you so much, Dawg. I wont give her any injections of pen unless I see redness or streaking. I keep penicillin g for my horses. What is the dose in the event that I would need to use it? I would inject IM into the breast, yes? 21 guage needle?

Back
Top Bottom