post office called at 7 40 am this morning!!!!

TyrannosaurusChix

Songster
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Savannah, NY
I ordered 100 meaties from mt healthy and they came with 50 free chicks!!

All look absolutely beautiful! all alive, ended up with 103 meaties and 52 free ones!! they even labeled the free ones as golden comets.. to top that off i think i got at least 6 hens in there! The rest will be sold at auction to recoup the fees from the meaties.

I am very impressed so far with the mt healthy birds. The xcrosses are running around, ery inquisitive and are thriving like no tomorrow right now!

Last edited:
I have always been pleased with My Healthy birds. I live in N Kentucky so I drive up there to pick them up. I bought 50 hens this year and got the 25 free birds. I sold all the extra hens and about half of the free roos and broke even on the deal. So I got the 5 hens and one roo I wanted to keep and 12 roos in the freezer for free. That includes the cost of food and equipment it took to grow them up.

Last edited:
Quote:
Holy crud now thats a deal!!!! Sheesh do they always have speacials lie that??? Id keep every golden comet hen you get! They lay gorgeous huge brown eggs!!!

If there was anyway to make brrown egg laying sex linked cockerels profitable in any manner the commercial poultry industry would have figured out how to utilize the 50 or so million they dispose of every year.

For meat they just take to much feed to make a pound of meat. And with the slow growth rate it will look like you are running a cockfight in your backyard.

The hatchery did you no favors by sending you those additional birds. They want rid of them just as badly as you will in a 10 weeks when they still don't weigh four pounds.

i think it's more like they can't find any way to utilize them on a COMMERCIAL scale.

how much feed are we really talking to make 1 pound of feed? even if it is something like 10 lbs of feed to 1 lb of meat, it could still be worthwhile to someone to raise in their HOME flock.

so let's say that you buy your feed in bulk, and it costs you $0.18/lb. that would mean (in this theory of 10 lbs of feed to 1 lb of meat) it would cost you $5.40 to raise a 3 lb bird.

to me, that's worth it. especially when you consider you get stock from the carcass and dog treats from the feet/neck/heart/liver, etc. when you have 6 dogs and they all eat EVO dog food costs add up, so processing excess cockerels would most certainly be worthwhile for us!

to TyChix - look at your OWN situation and decide if it is worthwhile to YOU.

ETA about people thinking you are running a fighting ring... well that's just silly. pay no mind there! you already stated you would be sending some of the extras to auction..

Last edited:
Quote:
good call!

that's definitely a much better idea than killing them before they take a bite...
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom