Post office killed my chicks. I am in shock. pics - graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.

astylishgirl

Animal Lover Supreme
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
We were expecting our new chicks this week from Cackle. 10 Ameraucana, 5 Cherry Eggers and 5 Buff Orpingtons. This morning we got up around 9 am. A little late, but I have had a migraine that just won't go away and I was icing my head. My husband goes out in the front yard and sees dead baby chicks scattered across the lawn. And he sees a Cackle Hatchery box ripped to shreds.

Our stupid, ignorant, no account postman had left the box next to our 3 big dogs on the ground on the front porch. No doorbell ring. No phone call. No knock on the door. Nothing.

The dogs are sweet. They never leave our property. They barely leave the porch. The wouldn't hurt a human being. But they are dogs and I guess baby chicks were too good to pass up.

Normally, our gate is shut, but I had it open this morning because my mom is coming over. What would he have done if the gate had been shut? Left them on the road??

We found one live chick stumbling about and it is now in the bator completely shell shocked.

My husband is so angry he can't see straight. He is on the way to the post office right now with a box of dead chicks to show those idiots. Also the label from Cackle that says to call upon arrival.

I am in shock still. I just can't believe this happened.

29521_img_0882.jpg

29521_img_0883.jpg

29521_img_0880.jpg

29521_img_0881.jpg

Last edited:
my PO is used to delivering eggs and live birds in this area, they won't deliver here by my request. I ask them to call me day or night when something arrives (live somethings that is) and I'll go pick it up. Giving them advance notice and bribing them with eggs from my EE's helped prevent something similar...

That is beyond disbelief. I think I would have to calm down for a few hours before going to the P.O. or I would surely "go postal" on them.

We had a problem with our mail carrier leaving boxes of eggs on our car or in the back of DH's truck (in yard out front) when we first moved here. Same problem - she was afraid of our big dogs (friendly, but big). The P.O. tells me, and this is a quote "she is not required to dismount". "Dismount"? Is she on a horse? Is "dismount" still in their rule book? Apparently so.

But, this is a "one horse town" so they now know us and will call us when there are chicks in and we go pick them up. She still honks the horn and won't "dismount" when delivering eggs but at least she doesn't leave them out in the hot sun in places where they may not be found until too late.

Thanks. There is one particular postman that is so awful. We have another one who calls us when chicks are delivered so I thought there would be no problem. I thought the crappy one was only working on weekends now, but apparently not.

My husband is going to the post office, because I couldn't do it. I am too upset. Too angry. I would make a scene.

Last edited:
YOUR POOR CHICKS!
hugs.gif
I am so sorry for your loss, I just don't GET people! My maillady "tossed" a box of eggs over our gate to 3 waiting pitbulls and a lab! The dogs didn't get to them, but none hatched either.
hit.gif

I am so over the post office and their employees! I have been on the hunt for local eggs, too hot to ship to Florida now! I hope that the hatchery will replace the order at the post offices expense.
rant.gif
somad.gif

I know that you were really expecting those chicks, too! I am sorry for your loss. I hope it works out for you, you are a good person!

Sorry about your loss. My PO told me that they will call you on the phone early in the AM as soon as they get the chicks. You must have a phone number on file at the PO for them to call you. I checked mine and I had an old number, I changed that in a hurry. Good Luck.

I am SO sorry about that! That would be so upsetting to find!

We have a PO man that will just lay the box on our porch no matter what might be inside. They put them sometimes in an old truck I use to store stuff in outside. They don't even knock on the door to see if anyone is home...just lay it out to be found.

When I ordered live chicks though, the PO did call me at 6 the next morning. Two of mine were dead but the box never appeared to be rough handled though.

I hope the hatchery will replace your chicks for you!
hugs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom