Post office

Rainstorm

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Lake Placid FLorida
My chicks were sent a day early so I didnt get to call the post office and tell them I had chicks arriving, or they should have been here today anyway. I called the post office less then an hour ago and asked if any chicks came (asking so I can get a ride to the post office live pretty far out of town)

:You expect me to go through thousands of packages to look for one?

:If its your package and you have a mailbox it will go to your house. Thank you *Beep beep beep*

1, I thought chicks were SUPPOSE to stay at the post office.
2, I never asked to go through a gazillion boxes, is a chirping box really not that hard to notice specially with 32 in it!
3, I hate LP post office, 2nd time i've got hung up on from stuck up people

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
They will if the box was marked hold at PO and call your phone number.

Steve in NC

idunno.gif
their coming from Ideal Poultry and they did last time I ordered from them.

Your thread title is leaning toward rudeness toward a whole group of people.
Perhaps you could say that "someone in my post office wasn't using their heads yesterday".

Let's try to keep BYC a friendly place.

Been there!
somad.gif
Every time I have ordered chicks they end up lost for at least a day
rant.gif

This time of year you have to expect chaos though. Not everybody is happy about the holiday rush
hmm.png

you can't blame all postal workers... we have some really smart and nice workers here... But iI do understand how you are feeling...

Quote:
I thought the same thing .. we have several postal workers that post on BYC ..

To the OP:

When I ordered eggs, I called ahead, asked them how THEY would like me to handle it .. talked to the Postmaster .. they knew my name and phone number .. shipper put my name and phone number on the box .. they called me .. and met me at the window .. before the PO opened.

I LOVE our postal workers .. just sayin'.

Edited to add: This is a VERY stressful time for PO workers .. EVERYONE thinks THEIR packages are the most important .. and most are Christmas presents this time of year..

Last edited:
I think I'd call the post office back and ask to speak to the postmaster. Explain that when you called to check on a shipment of live chicks that you were told they would be shipped to your home, not held as you expected and you are concerned. I don't think you need to get into any discussion on attitude or anything like that. If the postmaster is any good, he/she will take advantage of the educational opportunity with that specific emplyee.

I agree with Buff. The post office people are not all idiots. They are people, some good, some bad, and some that don't know the procedures. It is no different there than anywhere else. Mine were tremendously knowledgable and cooperative when my chicks arrived.

When I was expecting chicks, I called and spoke with the PO a week before they were due to arrive, rather than leaving it to the day before. It obviously wasn't the first such call they had had and they assured me they would call me to pick them up when they arrived. Sure enough, the morning I was expecting them, the PO called and I ran down to get them. I had to wait in a short line (PO was already open, it was around 10am) but as soon as I said I was here to pick up the chicks, the gal walked around the corner and picked up the box they had sitting there waiting for me. It was truly a painless experience. That was a small order of four chicks but I also ordered one of the MPC 25-chick specials, and they are treated differently since they don't need the heating pad. The day they arrived, the PO worker missed that there was a phone number to call but he came to drop the chicks off first on his route. My mail doesn't normally get delivered until 3-4pm, so I was surprised to see the mail truck pull up outside my house at 9:30am! He even came to the door first to make sure I was home, before getting the box out. Once he knew I was there, he ran back to get the chicks. I can believe he was somewhat motivated by self-interest because with a grin he told me they were VERY noisy. But I think he also just wanted to do right by those chicks. Postal workers are human too, and some are going to be more conscientious than others. Hopefully you'll have a better experience when and if there is a next time, but by all means, call them way ahead of time - maybe it will make a difference.

I am sure it is very frustrating. I have had problems with some of my local workers, and some that are just fantastic. It is like anywhere.

My mail carrier hates dogs, and won't deliver my mail if my front door is open with the screen door closed. I have little dogs. I think it is an odd job choice if you are afraid of dogs.

But I have had more good experiences than bad. In fact when I was growing up our mail carriers was one of my best friends. I almost groan when I think how I probably drove him crazy with my chatter.

Back
Top Bottom