Post Phoenix Pics Please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Dec 5, 2009.

1. onagadori

onagadori Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 17, 2010
    North Texas
    Quote:Do you have khaki sumatra? I have khaki sumatra to breed to my black phoenix roo this year and get dun phoenix. Then I can breed back to get khaki.

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    We have dun sumatras, a hen and a cockerel and I would love to breed them together to get khakis but I think they might be going into other breeding pens with blacks. I cant wait to get a silver khaki/dun phoenix. Dun golden/light brown will look good too

3. Toni-Marie

Toni-Marie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Metro Atlanta Ga.
    I love my Dun Sumatras also....Another pretty simi long-tail bird.....TM

4. Soli

Soli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    No, I don't.....yet.

I ordered hundreds of dollars in khaki eggs from the person I got my blues from, but the only one that hatched was a failure to thrive - didn't even make it three days out of the egg. Less than 50% of the eggs even started development and most were very early quitters. So I'm on the lookout for a dun or khaki sumatra to start with since the eggs didn't work. I think perhaps they were so inbred they were more delicate than the other eggs, as I hatched out blacks and blues just fine.

I nearly was able to buy some khaki pullets from someone who managed to get three to hatch (she also spent hundreds for those three - from the same person) but at the last minute she found a khaki rooster - so best bet I can get some chicks from her next year if I don't find any elsewhere. If you have any duns or khakis next year, you know to contact me, right? [​IMG]

I think that I have some nice blacks and blues right now. I will probably show the blues next year just to get my feet wet -I'm not really big into showing but I think it should be a good part of my education on chicken husbandry, and they are the friendliest birds I have other than your rooster.

5. onagadori

Oct 17, 2010
    North Texas
    Quote:going to breed them to my black roo, I will be culling the ones who look more like a sumatra in favor of the more phoenix type ones.. If you don't mind them having phoenix in them, I would gladly share. [​IMG]

6. Toni-Marie

Toni-Marie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Metro Atlanta Ga.
    Most all Good Sumatras have a little phoenix in the back ground....So thats no big deal...It's all about type....TM

7. onagadori

Oct 17, 2010
    North Texas
    Thanks Toni.. I did not know that. Sure helps with the tails..

8. Soli

Sep 18, 2010
    Quote:That would actually be great. I'll take your culls [​IMG] The phoenix might make nicer feathering and I'd just cross them back to sumatra to standard. The phoenix genes may improve feather length if they don't get bred out when going back to sumatra standard.

9. Soli

Sep 18, 2010
    Quote:I didn't know that either! Good to know.

10. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Ah good! A Phoenix Thread! Thanks Soli.
    [​IMG]
    My Black Breasted Red Phoenix Bantams.
    [​IMG]
    My Silver Duckwing Phoenix Bantams.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by