Post Phoenix Pics Please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Toni-Marie

Toni-Marie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Metro Atlanta Ga.
    Yes they are pretty; Khaki I made that in phoenix some 14 years back...I still have them today...There are still some of my birds out there in Dunn today still...It;s one of my favs. TM

2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:He's a beautiful bird for sure.

Shay, keep working on that project. We need some good blacks here. I'm working on them in both sizes and I know Amanda has some blacks coming along.

Keep breeding that gold birchen boy to the blackest hens. select the cleanest males and do it again. Never use a hen with any color to her, even if it's just a feather or two. By doing that, you'll get that birchen out pretty quick. I started with a very similar male from Cy's bantams and after just 1 cross this year, look to have some fairly clean males now. Crossed some to some of Toni's large fowl hens too and got some decent colored ones that way too. Seems the biggest problem is getting a true extended black, clean male. The pullets all see to come out decent. Stay at it though, it wont take long.

Thanks, these are the 1rst generations i did, do u remember the pics i posted last winter of them being youg, these are them, comeing along very nice, the 2 hens have no other color feather in them at all, i was expecting laceing to come out when they did there finally adult molting, but nope they are full black, [​IMG]
    If the 1rst generation came out this good i can not wait for there eggs, i had gottem some eggs from them over the summer but did not have good luck hatching them, and then i know i have something comeing in stealing eggs, for teh winter i am moveing them into indoor coops, so i will be hatching there eggs over winter [​IMG]

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yep seems like I do remember that now that you mention it. Coming along nice

4. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Here is the bird I was talking about last night from the self-blue/white cross:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are two of his female offspring (on a white hen) offspring, the silver-hackle one's body is pretty much pure black, the gold-hackled one as you can see has some gold-tips on the feathers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are two of the cockerels which are full brothers to the hens above, one as you can see is like him and the other has both silver hackle and saddles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    the recessive white and possibly the lavender as well had to have had silver and crow wing (birchen) in there some where because those are ruffly silver birchens and gold birchens.
    On good ones most the time the male has faint lacing on their breast and some times the hens can be either clear bodied or laced up as well.

So pretty much you had crow wing in there some where and by the crossing you did, it managed to come out.

6. Toni-Marie

Nov 12, 2008
    Metro Atlanta Ga.
    Nice silver crow wings...The little brown red pullet is nice also....Even if there a dirty silver(a form of diluted gold) there still a birchen(crow wing).....Keep breeding those back together and you may get the lavender/self blue to come out in them. Almost 100% of Lavenders are black under neath that's why the crowing birds. And also most of those birds also have the recessive white in the back ground as well...So expect several colors when breeding those birds. What is your goal with those?? Toni-Marie......Happy Thanksgiving!.......

7. extraordinaryfowl

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Quote:Thanks, my original goal was to get self-blues again, and Cy told me if I bred these together like you said I should get some, but I really like the other colors I am getting and I will also select for more what you call "crow wings", I really like that color pattern.

I am hoping to get some blacks out of here too. I was thinking I would try crossing the silver pullet in the photo back to the father for that?

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

8. Toni-Marie

Nov 12, 2008
    Metro Atlanta Ga.
    Cye and I have been friends for over 25 years and we talk rather often...I know all about the lavender project....Good luck with your birds...TM

9. extraordinaryfowl

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Quote:Thanks again! And good luck with yours - I have heard about some of the things you have been doing. Isn't poultry exciting!

10. Soli

Soli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Just want to say I am enjoying the conversation about the breeding programs. And absorbing the information.

I am dying to work with dun and khaki in Sumatras...I can imagine it must be stunning in Phoenix, too. Right now, though, I'm happy to slowly improve my breeding stock here and there - colors and such will come later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by