Post Phoenix Pics Please

yep she's gone broody on you if she's doing all that. They do from time to time, but nothing like silkies or cochins.

Okay. Well she say through the night and is still sitting. She is sitting on two fake eggs right now since we don't want any chicks at the moment. Not til this spring. She hasn't eaten or taken a drink that I've seen and she puffs up and just walks around funny on the ground when I put her down to eat.

Could you explain multiple feathered? I am feeling ditsy lately and she just looks like a normal silver phoenix to me
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ws...nepage&q=multiple feathering chickens&f=false

Excerpt from Brian Reeders feather and form genetics book.. link above

The normal bird has 6 main tail feathers (retrices ) on each side.. multiple feathered is when they have 7, 8, or even more. Or in extreme cases..as many as 10..

These are the kind of feather traits we should be watching for and selecting for. As they can go so easily undetected if we have untrained eyes.. We should be counting feathers on our hens tails and roosters as well.. food for thought. If you want thick beautiful tails.

Today we took the eggs away from my broody pullet, we don't want her to be broody, and she was looking around the best for them and making these sad peeping noises. Eventually she sat down in the empty nest and still protected it. We put her on the roost with my roo and other pullets and we hope that she will stop being broody. Do you think that tomorrow she'll sit in the empty nest or go find a best with a egg that hadn't been collected or fake eggs and sit on them?

If anyone wants multiple feathering in there phoenix I suggest buying a Ohiki to blend into there phoenix. That's how I made my phoenix bantams...There nice and tiny. I started with large fowl of 6--7 lbs. And a tiny little ohiki but he got the job done. Dwarfism is sex linked and it only took 3 generations to get them tiny and very good phoenix type....And best of all multiple feathered from adding the Ohiki...And another good thing there no kin to any other bantam phoenix in the USA.... There all from my German Import phoenix and import Ohiki........TM

Today we took the eggs away from my broody pullet, we don't want her to be broody, and she was looking around the best for them and making these sad peeping noises. Eventually she sat down in the empty nest and still protected it. We put her on the roost with my roo and other pullets and we hope that she will stop being broody. Do you think that tomorrow she'll sit in the empty nest or go find a best with a egg that hadn't been collected or fake eggs and sit on them?
she'll be back in it. Hard to stop them til they give up. They are hard headed when it comes to that. She'll get enough eventually and be done.

Interesting, I never noticed things like that. So do the top tail feathers count as well (the sickle style feathers)? Maybe that is what is giving my LF silver hens a fuller look to their tails....

They don't count as retrices, but you can count them to see how many they have. Roosters have multiple sickles and some breeds posses them, ohiki for example so it is helpful for overall appearance. It is important to remember good hens make good roosters! saddles are important on hens as well. Nice full cushion areas with long saddle feathering. They could be multiple feathered, you will just have to count them.. LOL.

If anyone wants multiple feathering in there phoenix I suggest buying a Ohiki to blend into there phoenix. That's how I made my phoenix bantams...There nice and tiny. I started with large fowl of 6--7 lbs. And a tiny little ohiki but he got the job done. Dwarfism is sex linked and it only took 3 generations to get them tiny and very good phoenix type....And best of all multiple feathered from adding the Ohiki...And another good thing there no kin to any other bantam phoenix in the USA.... There all from my German Import phoenix and import Ohiki........TM
very true Toni Marie

you certainly have made some beautiful bantams that way, and yes the feathering in them is awesome for sure.

Back
Top Bottom