Post Phoenix Pics Please

I checked and no blood feathers. All but one are still in their first year but onehen is over a year. I'm guessing about 1-1 1/2 years. My other seven pullets are under the age of a year and do is my roo. Does that mean they won't molt?
Birds typically have their first molt at 18 months, so if your girls are under a year, don't expect them to molt this year.

I checked and no blood feathers. All but one are still in their first year but onehen is over a year. I'm guessing about 1-1 1/2 years. My other seven pullets are under the age of a year and do is my roo. Does that mean they won't molt?
na, if they are out of blood feather, they'll molt normally. as the other post said, sometimes it just takes a few extra months on younger birds until they get new ones. They are an odd bunch to start with. My normal annual molters do it all over time. Doesnt seem like any are on the same page, and some go closer to 18 months between. my other breeds pretty much hit a day on the calender and all get the memo and within a months time 300 or so of them have all molted and are back in new feather. Not the phoenix I have, they do it in the fall, but seems like none at the same time. Right now I have some nearly threw regrowing, all the way to not even started yet...

Okay, my hen has filled her nest with breast feathers, laid her daily egg, went out to eat and then came back to sit on her egg and the fake egg. She has never done this before and will sqwak and puff up if anything comes near her. When I picked her up to let her drink she fuzzed up and stood on th ground sqwaking and started coming at me. I'm guessing broody maybe? She is a Phoenix and they are prone to going broody very often.

I really need to get some lights in my coop. I haven't gotten an egg in 2 months from my Phoenix's. I almost think my rooster might be an egg eater, since the last egg we got was before we introduced him to our flock. You'd think out of 5 pullet's I'd be getting in least something every once in a while.

I really need to get some lights in my coop. I haven't gotten an egg in 2 months from my Phoenix's. I almost think my rooster might be an egg eater, since the last egg we got was before we introduced him to our flock. You'd think out of 5 pullet's I'd be getting in least something every once in a while.
There's an easy way to check that. Put an egg in the pen, if it's gone the next day you know you have an egg eater. Cut the top 1/4 or so off the top beak, just barly til it bleeds just a little. That's always stopped any I have had from egg eating. I had some houdans that were horrible about it.

Phoenix also are all year layers. This time of year they tend to wind down a good bit. I have a few pens that just started back a couple months ago, and others that are doing anything. It's just that time of year. I have around 100-150 phoenix hens I'm guessing, and might be getting 40 eggs a week out of all them right now. Just that time of year with them.

But try the egg in the pen trick, you'll know the next day

Today while at the traders place dumping some extra roosters off, I spotted a few birds that I had to have. The first was a khaki silver pullet (like the one I had this fall but more phoenix looking). Then I saw a rose combed crele hen that had phoenix type so I figure I can add her to a project pen, it will be better using her with one of our light brown roosters than having to deal with crossing a barred rock or crele OEGB into the line like we did in the past to make our crele phoenix. While there, I saw a gorgeous white rooster with long saddles and a decent tail and seriously thought about getting him but he was a large fowl and he had bright yellow legs. Yes I know, I could have worked with it but I am trying to focus on the bantams and already have a plan for my LF silver hens.

Oh and while I was putting the birds in their quarentine pen, I looked all of them over and noticed that the khaki silver has faint barring in her tail and wings. I thought it was an off colored feather at first but it is on both wings and tail, just hard to see because of her color. We will know for sure when she is bred. I'll work on getting pics after the show this weekend

Back
Top Bottom