Post Phoenix Pics Please

Pics
Quote:
To reliably find all the standards, you have to buy the book. A lot of stuff on -line is inaccurate, and the APA and ABA websites dont list the standards on line, they want to sell the book, lol

case in point, the thing on phoenix you found up there. Phoenix have never once been the big longtail Japanese bird everyone says they are, that's the onagadori. They are the one the Japanese spend countless centuries working with and get the 12-20 foot tails. Phoenix are a breed of Germany and American decent. They were not found anywhere in Asia.

As for the difference in sizes, yes the size is it. Pretty sure it's still the same colors for both, though I havent checked in a couple years, but think in both, it's still just bb red, silver duckwing, gold duckwing, and now white too.

Thought since the rain stopped for a min, that I'd post a new pic of my white roo. Now we have 5in of snow to deal with besides mud
roll.png
Cant believe he's kept his tail through all this crap, but he has, so I'm pleased. Critiques anyone? ... He's right at 10mos old in pic.

Aubrey, I need more whites, can ya help me out?

39809_wp2.jpg

Quote:
Welcome Dragorra
smile.png
I have a dog show and poultry friend that raises Ibizan... Im a Belgian person.
I dont really show my birds, but since I have shown dogs for 20 years , breeding my birds to the standard is very important to me.

The white phoenix that I have and probably what most of us have is or was a mix of the various longtails.... so I get an assortment of types. Some of mine, have peacombs, and some have green legs. If and when I pen a trio for breeding I choose the best combs, legs, earlobes, and of course tail set. Its a nice breed to work with since the hens lay a great amount of eggs! They are also fantastic moms. Since I want mine to freerange I often find a hen sitting on a clutch of eggs somewhere..... or one will show up with a bunch of babies..... I love it and that is why I have them living free. However, its hell on the boys tails. My longtails live with various other birds, peafowl, geese and goats.... who step on long white tails that drag on the ground. I have stepped on a few tails myself. So consequently tails get broken. removed and are dirty. I dont know how long my birds tails can get. My oldest white male is probably 4 years old but his tail set is too high, I have only seen it get maybe 3 foot long. The juveniles in the photos I posted above are looking promising. Im anxious to see how their tails look this summer.

GypsyChic:
droolin.gif

I sent you a few pms a while back, did they ever go through? I have been having issues with my Internet so sometimes it screws up when i post and send PMs

Well, I thought I would post a few more pics. I love my longtails!
big_smile.png

THIS GUY IS ABOUT 9 MONTHS OLD NOW. GETS A SPECIAL DIET AND LIVES INDOORS! (WELL ALL MY ROOSTERS LIVE INDOORS THAT AREN'T BREEDERS)
70005_sdc11726.jpg

70005_sdc11707.jpg

70005_sdc11708.jpg

70005_sdc11719.jpg

HERE IS A BLUE SILVER PHOENIX/YOKO CROSS THAT HAS BEEN IN THE BREEDING PEN

70005_sdc11735.jpg

SPANGLE PHOENIX HEN

70005_sdc11660.jpg

BLUE GOLD HEN

70005_sdc11657.jpg

WHITE COCKEREL 8-9 MONTHS

70005_sdc11598.jpg

70005_sdc11596.jpg

A GOLD DUCKWING SPORTING 2-3 MONTHS TAIL GROWTH (NON MOLTING GENETICS)

70005_sdc11577.jpg

70005_sdc11575.jpg

70005_sdc11582.jpg

AND A YOUNG BIRCHEN COCKEREL WHO IS AROUND 4 MONTHS OLD NOW.

70005_sdc11565.jpg

70005_sdc11570.jpg

Quote:
To reliably find all the standards, you have to buy the book. A lot of stuff on -line is inaccurate, and the APA and ABA websites dont list the standards on line, they want to sell the book, lol

case in point, the thing on phoenix you found up there. Phoenix have never once been the big longtail Japanese bird everyone says they are, that's the onagadori. They are the one the Japanese spend countless centuries working with and get the 12-20 foot tails. Phoenix are a breed of Germany and American decent. They were not found anywhere in Asia.

As for the difference in sizes, yes the size is it. Pretty sure it's still the same colors for both, though I havent checked in a couple years, but think in both, it's still just bb red, silver duckwing, gold duckwing, and now white too.

I know the breed was never capable of that kind of tail length but I find it fascinating that that piece of misinformation has been passed along for so long. The book where I got that little excerpt from was written in 1899!

Looks like I'll need to get my hands on the SOP book then so that I can try to do my birds justice.
smile.png

@Peachick, Hi!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom