Post pic of your nipple waterers!

I drilled a 3/4 hole into the bucket and put in the hose barb with sum silicone. than a ran tubing to another hose barb to a pcv attachment i made. I sell a complete system starting at $30 If your intristed in one let me know. I also sell nipples.

Thanks for all the help. I got the nipples
gig.gif
today. I'm excited to see what I can come up with. I'm not too handy, so not sure about the pvc, but I'll try to rig up something and hope for the best! Keep those pics coming!

Quote:
You can see our system on my page. The picture does not show the bird bath deicer. I tied the chord to the filler hose which is tied to the wire holding the bucket. We fill the bucket from a 130 gal tank with a stock tank heater and small submersible pump. We have only been down to -15f so far, but no issues as of yet. It is really cool to flip a switch and fill up the waterer!!

I ordered mine online as well. I got 10 for under $10 from this guy. Here's my setup. It's been hooked up and running for a couple months now with no problems.

All these photos were taken before the girls were moved in. They took right to the nipples and it's made watering them super easy. Installing them was a bit of a challenge at first first but I figured it out.
big_smile.png

My setup waters 10 hens with 4 nipples fed from an 11 gallon water tank. I also have water inside the coop on a single gravity bowl system with a 10 gallon tank.

008.jpg

009.jpg

20101011_ChickWaterer005.jpg

Plenty of fresh water 24/7.

I use food grade 35% H2O2 to keep the water system clean and to keep my chickens healthy.

I have a 5-gallon bucket in my big coop and a two-gallon bucket in my little coop. Both are hung by the bucket handle with chain. The chain is suspended from a hook attached to the ceiling, and the length can be adjusted with an S-hook. I made sure that the s-hook, chain, and hook were all rated to hold enough weight.
80987_img_9480.jpg
80987_img_8345.jpg

80987_img_7310.jpg

I also sometimes will put a nipple into the bottom of a washed-out vinegar or orange juice jug (thicker plastic). I hang it by the jug handle from the same chains. The problem with this is that you can't get in to wash it. I just unscrew the nipple, wash it, and install it in a new jug as needed.

For the winter, I take the buckets inside for the night and back out again in the morning. Inside, I set the bucket on top of another bucket without a lid as to not push against the nipple. The only time I had an issue was a couple days when it was so cold that it was below freezing in the coop during the day. In that case, I put heated water into the bucket before bringing it out in the morning, and my husband added more hot water a bit after noon. (I am lucky to have someone home during the day.) This has worked for us so far, but if we couldn't do this, I'd probably run an outdoor extension cord up to the coop for the few days of the year that get this cold and use a light bulb near the waterer to add some heat and light.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom