Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
Awwwwwwwww, I wanna smell it!
lol.png
Beautiful!

It is by far my fav tree. These waxy leaves don't fall off for the winter. Even when it goes sub zero they stay on and green. Bad for ice storms like this past winter when this tree lost 2 feet off it's top from caving in to the weight of the ice. Hope she takes off and grows well from now on. The smell is sweet! We have many flowering trees that emit a pleasant fragrant smell. Apple, Pears, Lilacs and then have a hundred or so of these Honey Suckles that never seem to not be in bloom. Most of the spring it stinks around here with their flowers.

Beth thanks you for the kinds words about my baby Buff boy. I had a great year for my Buffs male to female ratio. I have about 2 dozen growing out and only 4 or 5 are males. So I am not sending this little guy anywhere.

Last edited:
Bill, how did you make those Silver Duckwing birds?

We have a Granny Smith tree that is loaded with apples this year, if the squirrels don't take them all first I plan on using them for pies this Thanksgiving.
smile.png

I haven't posted on here much, but have been following it.

A friend of mine is selling some more of his flock off, and I'm buying them. In the mixture are some Black and Buff Orps from Jody Hinkle. Now a question that has been picking my mind all day. I got to thinking, could I cross my Black Orps with Black Jersey Giants and try and make them bigger? Yes, I know they are already big, fluffy birds but I would like to make them even bigger. Any thoughts on the matter?

~ Aspen

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

A friend of mine is selling some more of his flock off, and I'm buying them. In the mixture are some Black and Buff Orps from Jody Hinkle. Now a question that has been picking my mind all day. I got to thinking, could I cross my Black Orps with Black Jersey Giants and try and make them bigger? Yes, I know they are already big, fluffy birds but I would like to make them even bigger. Any thoughts on the matter?

~ Aspen

Wouldn't you be introducing yellow skin into your Orpingtons by crossing them with Giants?

That will take LOTS of breeding to eradicate, that is if you're breeding for pure Orps.

Why not cross your potential future birds with a big English Orpington? That would DEFINITELY increase size.

ETA: You could always use a nice sized Sussex, too. That would avoid the yellow skin issue.​

Last edited:
Cuckoo Orpington:
5806_0708111613.jpg

5806_0708111612a.jpg

5806_0708111611.jpg

5806_0708111610a.jpg

I started out with one broody, then 3 more decided to go broody at the exact same time 3 days after the first one decided to sit. Of COURSE they all wanted to use the same nest box.
smack.gif
lau.gif

5806_0701111153.jpg

5806_0701111153a.jpg

Quote:
I used BUSTOFF's offspring and breed them to each other. I was given the thought he had more to him then just a Buff and Black genetics. He has thrown Birchen which I breed a Black to the Birchen pullet and have Birchens in both Blue and Black. He has thrwon Black Brown Reds and Blue Brown Reds. My BBR pullet maybe my best of my Project birds. He threw the Exchequer pullet. She has been bred to my Black cockerel and now I have her with my Buff Sport. I have a total of 2 of these Silver Duckwings and I should breed them back to BUS since he is responsible for the gene.

LOL Tony... I am having the same problem here. I have found 5 or 6 eggs in the shavings on the floor.... I guess the nest was so crowded that she just couldn't get the egg in the box. Should correct very soon... I am in the process of selling off my last 3 American Orps so won't have that many hens in the boxes for a few months
smile.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

~ Aspen

There two completely different birds. In the early 90's that was the craze. And not a whole lot of great Black Orps came out of those breedings. You will have to use a very typee Orp and hatch bunches to just get one that even remotely looks like an Orp. I used a larger line of Buff Orps in a test breeding to one of my Black mutts to test the fertility of the Buff hens I got. I hatched an 11 lbs at 11 month ole male (BUSTOFF) Who threw a few very nice large Black males when taken back to a Black with good type. You may want to sacrfice one breeding season and get a huge Buff Orp instead. Then breed about 4 dozen and pick the best and largest male and use him the following year back to Black. You will still have to cull heavy for Red leakage but at least the type will be there. Type is the hardest trait to maintain in Orps. Size is not type. Many have breed in Plymouth Rock to Buffs and totally lost type. Now you see alot of Buffs Rock with White skin. Just my personal opinion. Good luck in trying.​

Quote:
Wouldn't you be introducing yellow skin into your Orpingtons by crossing them with Giants?

That will take LOTS of breeding to eradicate, that is if you're breeding for pure Orps.

Why not cross your potential future birds with a big English Orpington? That would DEFINITELY increase size.

ETA: You could always use a nice sized Sussex, too. That would avoid the yellow skin issue.

I don't have them yet, I'll be picking them up on the 15th. I don't know how large they're going to be, but I know they will be big. Does anyone on here have English Orps hatching eggs they'd like to send my way?
wink.png

~ Aspen

Quote:
There two completely different birds. In the early 90's that was the craze. And not a whole lot of great Black Orps came out of those breedings. You will have to use a very typee Orp and hatch bunches to just get one that even remotely looks like an Orp. I used a larger line of Buff Orps in a test breeding to one of my Black mutts to test the fertility of the Buff hens I got. I hatched an 11 lbs at 11 month ole male (BUSTOFF) Who threw a few very nice large Black males when taken back to a Black with good type. You may want to sacrfice one breeding season and get a huge Buff Orp instead. Then breed about 4 dozen and pick the best and largest male and use him the following year back to Black. You will still have to cull heavy for Red leakage but at least the type will be there. Type is the hardest trait to maintain in Orps. Size is not type. Many have breed in Plymouth Rock to Buffs and totally lost type. Now you see alot of Buffs Rock with White skin. Just my personal opinion. Good luck in trying.

Thank you for your suggestion. I think they are still fairly young (3-4 m/o) so they could fill out a bunch in that time.

I'm really excited about getting them, and will post pictures when I get them settled in.

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom