Post pics of stock from Ideal Poultry please !!

That is amazing information for me! thank you since I have been wondering how to tell who came from who's egg with the 10 chicks I have now That are mostly black or black and grey the only odd ball is white and grey.

So far none of them look like they will frizzle but they are stupid cute anyway
yippiechickie.gif
Now here is the tricky part. Blue/Black/Splash is a completely different gene. It's a dominant diluting gene for black. One copy of the gene produces the Blue color, two copies produces Splash. It's impossible to tell a Splash from a Self-Blue when they are chicks. And if you have both colors in your flock, after a generation or two, you can have birds that are both Self-Blue and Splash. It can get very difficult to sort out which birds have which genes, which is why it's generally advised to avoid mixing the two colors.

Quote: I was considering a breeding program when I purchased these groups I was not sure which I would like better. I am thinking the LF Cochin which I threw in just for bigger eggs.
hmm.png

If and when I can resume thoughts on breeding pens and separation of flocks is there a forum here that can help with that? I have read some and they do not seem to take kindly to new people
hide.gif
. I would read and read on the subject but I am never sure what to search for. Is there a book you can recommend?

Which breeds do you breed?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/690632/silkie-breeding-genetics-showing
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/557147/cochin-breeding-genetics-and-showing
Here are some threads dedicated to the breeding/genetic aspects of both Cochins and Silkies. It should be noted that hatchery sourced birds are not exactly the best choice of foundation for breeding stock if you are really serious about breeding to meet Standard of Perfection.
I'm working on refining my Easter Eggers into a proper breed. I'm working on getting a bright red colored bird with muffs, pea comb, yellow skin, and lays green eggs.

Oh no
Once I have my breeding set up I will buy breeding stock. I got the hatchery chicks to see the different things Like I still want eggs from my ladies only not a gazillion eggs so I wanted a breed that was a med layer not a pro. I also liked the leg feathering but was not sure in Texas how a double layered chicken would do with the heat. They really do prefer to sleep in the run instead of the coop. I also wanted something very pet like so my grand daughter could play with them OK and me too!
yippiechickie.gif
So instead of spending a lot of money on quality birds I was unsure of I chose to get several kinds from a hatchery and see what I liked about each of them.

DH has recently been out of work which has but a stick in my gears for now but we will be back to Dreaming again soon I hope.

We had the design ready and were about to order the sand for the foundation of the coop when Blam life interfered. But the plans are still on paper.

I do think I will go with the LF Cochin for breeding. but the plans we have are for like 6 pens and one of them will be Layers Only! DH doesnt want to eat fertilized eggs.
lau.gif
I think he knows I use them in his cookie recipe.
gig.gif

Thank you for the links I will check them out now.
highfive.gif

I love my birds from Ideal! This is Babybear she is mothering 5 chicks right now. The Silkie broody thing is not bred out of these guys! Chip Chip the Blue Silkie roo has a single comb instead of walnut but he is beautiful otherwise. I have 2 Buff Silkies as well. But the Cochin Fantastic! Bantam Roo is my favorite he is self blue He is with the LF Ladies Blue Cochin Self Blue Cochin Gold Laced up front. Self Blue on low perch in back. These are the Ideal Cochin's in the LF Coop. The Bantam Cochin's I have 2 Frizzles one Frizzed the other did not. Which I read is a genetics thing. since you can not breed frizzle to frizzle to get a frizzle. Nitty Needle I do think Nitty is just as cute as Needle. and the self blue bantam hen. I do think I want to breed The self blue bantam roo to the Frizzles and see what shakes up. They are definitely the lookers in my coop which has mainly been TSC chick week. Never Again! I also decided that I will get broilers to finish the order instead of the packing peanuts next time. None were sick when they arrived and they are all still alive!
Those self blue Cochins are beautiful ! I would love to get some but my chicken run is already over capacity lol ! That self blue make you're holding in one of the pics looks big, would you say he's the same size as LF Cochin hatchery hen?

Last edited:
The one I am holding is big.
But I have never seen a SOP Cochin before she stands aprox 18 " tall and can stretch to almost 24 I think (did a rough measure for a new bigger laying box yesterday).
I would say between 5 - 7 lbs already. and oh so soft.

She is 34 weeks old. the one next to her is a 5 year old New Hampshire Hen.
Her personality is Fab! she is very curious! and friendly that is why we call her Georgie.

I love my birds from Ideal!

This is Babybear she is mothering 5 chicks right now. The Silkie broody thing is not bred out of these guys!
Chip Chip the Blue Silkie roo has a single comb instead of walnut but he is beautiful otherwise.

I have 2 Buff Silkies as well.

But the Cochin Fantastic!
Bantam Roo is my favorite he is self blue

He is with the LF Ladies

Blue Cochin

Self Blue Cochin

Gold Laced up front. Self Blue on low perch in back.

These are the Ideal Cochin's in the LF Coop.

The Bantam Cochin's
I have 2 Frizzles one Frizzed the other did not. Which I read is a genetics thing. since you can not breed frizzle to frizzle to get a frizzle.
Nitty
Needle

I do think Nitty is just as cute as Needle.

and the self blue bantam hen.

I do think I want to breed The self blue bantam roo to the Frizzles and see what shakes up.

They are definitely the lookers in my coop which has mainly been TSC chick week. Never Again! I also decided that I will get broilers to finish the order instead of the packing peanuts next time.

None were sick when they arrived and they are all still alive!

Your black silkie is BEYOND BEAUTIFUL!!!! How sweet she is with those darling chicks!

The one I am holding is big. But I have never seen a SOP Cochin before she stands aprox 18 " tall and can stretch to almost 24 I think (did a rough measure for a new bigger laying box yesterday). I would say between 5 - 7 lbs already. and oh so soft. She is 34 weeks old. the one next to her is a 5 year old New Hampshire Hen. Her personality is Fab! she is very curious! and friendly that is why we call her Georgie.
maybe Ideal incorporated some standard black Cochins into their breeding stock of self blue bantams to increase the number of females in the following years

Back
Top Bottom