Post pics of ur egg yolks!!!

Haley (right) lays our darkest yolks, Pip (left) our largest. The yolks are darker in colour when pierced.

86005_month_08_egg_yolks.jpg

Alfalfa and clover are good yolk darkeners.
I throw a small bunch of alfalfa hay into the run every few days and also soak alfalfa pellets (for horses) in water to reconstitute them and mix that into their feed and treats.
This is especially helpful in the winter, when greens are hard to come by and/or the girls have laid waste to their run and reduced it to bare dirt.
Clover that grows in my garden beds gets weeded out and thrown into the run. They LOVE it!
I also have a cold frame growing turnip greens, chard and other greens. This gives them some fresh greens through the cold weather.

Cook them up some sweet potatoes. My girls go crazy for a nice hot sweet potato on a cold afternoon. The color of the yolk increases over the next day or two.

the sun has alot to do with the yolk being dark.................
An egg with a deep yellow to orange yolk is rich in carotenoids. A hen can’t control the yolk pigmentation on her own; the yolk’s color is determined by her diet. Good food (plenty of insects) and sunshine yield yolks with a nice, rich color.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom