Post pictures of your capons

Explanations by an experienced person are best. However, if you go on eBay you can find some old poultry books and bulletins that explain caponizing. I have two copies of the book Practical Poultry Production, one printed in 1956 and the other in 1933. Both of these books tell how to caponize. The older book tells how to mix your own chicken feed. I also found a USDA bulletin on capons and caponizing.
Yes... but I’d like to hear his explanation much different than reading the information. I’ve read the information. It’s not the same to me.

Last edited:
I’m just curious and wonder, once a cockerel is caponized, which does away with his hormones, will he still continue to look like a rooster with the beautiful tail, saddle and hackle feathering? Or will his appearance change to more of a hen’s appearance?

This is just a comment and I am certainly no expert on capons. However, I recently acquired an old poultry book that talks about capons and I got a USDA bulletin entitled Capons and Caponizing. The bulletin is from 1932 and the book, Practical Poultry Management, was printed in 1933. The bulletin talks about marketing capons at eight to ten months of age. There are pictures of plucked capons ready for market. By today's standards, these chickens are scrawny. They are not plump and well muscled like the modern Cornish X. One thing I found interesting was that the capons, like most chickens of the time, went to market with the entrails intact and with at least some of their feathers. Feathers of capons were left on the last joint of the wings, on the tail, and about one fourth of the distance up the thighs and the neck. The heads and feet were not removed either. The bulletin did mention that clean plucking was becoming more popular. I am old enough to remember my mother buying chickens at the store and cleaning (drawing) them when she brought them home. This was in the late 1940's and early 1950's. My old cookbook, printed in the 1940's, has an illustrated section on how to draw (clean) chickens.
Very interesting. I love reading about the ways things were done “way back when.”

Yes they do keep most of their rooster appearance. Their saddle and hackle feathers grow longer. Capons seem to groom themselves very well and their feathers are pretty shiny. They have smaller spurs. The only thing henlike is the smaller head with lack of comb and waddle.
@bngowe ..... Do you caponize your own birds...and at what age?
Are you in the US?

Back
Top Bottom