Post your barnyard mixes!

Here's a Buff Orpington over Splash Andalusian:
0CE351C5-0697-4A61-8868-626FB3B55A73-1.jpeg

FAFBB1BF-EE56-4D2F-9FDE-FBEDDDCC7D7F-1.jpeg

Red rooster over white hen = red pullets & white cockerels at hatch
White rooster over red hens = white pullets & red cockerels at hatch (that's how your Amberlink was made)
Gold sex links can only be made from Gold rooster over Silver hens. Reversing it, Silver rooster over Gold hens will not result in sex links, it will result in all silver chicks.

All amberlinks hatch out as silver. They are a feather sex link cross of fast feathering rooster over slow feathering hen.

Gold sex links can only be made from Gold rooster over Silver hens. Reversing it, Silver rooster over Gold hens will not result in sex links, it will result in all silver chicks.

All amberlinks hatch out as silver. They are a feather sex link cross of fast feathering rooster over slow feathering hen.
I was possibly going to try crossing my buff laced brahma roo with a light and/or dark brahma. This seems to match what I have heard but I'm confused what I might end up with. Perhaps buff color with blue lacing/pencil?

I love this thread and seeing all the mixes. I wish I had pictures to share from several years ago of my dominique, silkie, RIR mixes.

I was possibly going to try crossing my buff laced brahma roo with a light and/or dark brahma. This seems to match what I have heard but I'm confused what I might end up with. Perhaps buff color with blue lacing/pencil?

I love this thread and seeing all the mixes. I wish I had pictures to share from several years ago of my dominique, silkie, RIR mixes.
Buff laced brahma over light brahma will give sex links, pullets will be gold with incomplete lacing and cockerels will be silver with incomplete lacing. The dark brahma cross will give the same results, except the offspring should have better lacing.
ETA: Forgot to mention the lacing border will be white like in a Buff Laced Brahma.

@FuzzyCritters - Your Buff Orpington x Splash Andalusian hen is very pretty!

I'm surprised silver roos over gold hens give silver pullets and cockerels; everything I've read about feather color inheritance so far says girls get dad's color while boys get mom's color... I'll have to change my notes about Amberlinks.

@MissiMullis - Crested Cream Legbar rooster over Black Copper Marans/Cuckoo hen, or Copper/Cuckoo Marans rooster over Crested Cream Legbar hen?

@FuzzyCritters - Your Buff Orpington x Splash Andalusian hen is very pretty!

I'm surprised silver roos over gold hens give silver pullets and cockerels; everything I've read about feather color inheritance so far says girls get dad's color while boys get mom's color... I'll have to change my notes about Amberlinks.
Pullets get one sex link gene, which they inherit from their dad. Cockerels get two sex link genes, and they get one from each parent.
The gold rooster over silver hen cross works because gold is recessive and silver is dominant. The pullets inherit gold from dad and nothing from mom, so pullets are gold. The cockerels get silver from mom and gold from dad, but are silver because silver is dominant over gold.
It can't work in reverse because the pullets would get silver from dad, and the cockerels would get silver from dad and gold from mom, making them silver too.

Back
Top Bottom